Well I get sick with this large file copy issue that doesn't go away
I tried the bits of ideas shared here and it didn't work
I have a Dell 1705 and Toshiba Satellite ... thermatake BlacX Duo USB2 ... WD20 - 2 TB Drive ... been through this problem since Vista ... problems copying large vmk files over to USB ... like 9.6gb, 13.3gb, etc
Well I check other similar treads ... I figured out my issue ... when I read something that made me think ...
The file I had a problem with the vmk's ... It appears that inside VMware disk file there is already files compressed in there. I don't think it matter if the file sat compress or regular on the outside.
My system would go crazy locking up, source file stops reading, system still trying to write something ...
I read somewhere that some compress files ... would complicate copying
so the lesson learned ... don't used compressing so much ... use it wisely
I guess MS doesn't really up keep their compressing routines ... unlike in the old days of DOS ... there were two principle compressing vendors ... now they are gone because of MS doublespace ...
I hear that as MS moves to a different drive format ... compression will .. cease to exist
It appears the this old compressing routine is the reason why VMWare stress that you should not run vmk compressed on the drive or it will lock up ... now I see the source of why .. without running vmware ... its ms waiting to deprecate sw that's prone to issues that takes away manpower to advance their vision
I hope this little insight helps any one with large file copy issues ... remember remove the compression on the drive or directory to where your copying
good luck