Hello again, i came across a posting about file transfer problems in asus mainboard forums which suggested disabling the "USB to EHCI hand-off" in the bios. Thats enabled by default for the mobo i have, m4a79. I dont yet know if it completely solved the problem but its certainly an improvement as i was able to transfer 8 gigs from a thumb drive without freezing right after a cold boot. I'll try an external hdd with larger files and post the results..
Large file transfer stops working when using USB hard drive and Windows 7 64 bit, Intel chipset
I have an Acer Aspire 8735G running Windows 7 home premium 64 bit. I have a clean install and all the latest BIOS and drivers from the manufacturer. It also in NOT running Nvidia chip for the USB enhanced controller. It is an Intel controller. When I use any USB hard drive, the transfer starts then stops responding part way through. It seems to stop at various points in the transfer. I have to reboot to get the USB port to start working again. This happens with large files and folders with a large amount of files within. Can anyone help ?
Thanks
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
46 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2010-03-25T16:15:10+00:00 -
Anonymous
2010-03-24T23:34:38+00:00 I tried your idea of having the hard drive plugged in during boot up. I was able to transfer the file with no problem. When I tried to transfer the file again on the same bootup it locked up and I had to reboot. If I go into device manager and disable the enhanced USB controller(in my case ICH9 usb2 enhance host controller) I can transfer files all day but they transfer at 1.1 speeds, SLOW. I hope one of the Microsoft wizards finds an answer soon. It definitely seems to be a 64 bit problem.
-
Anonymous
2010-03-24T13:36:34+00:00 Hello, im having a similar problem.. In my case, transferring large files (like over 1 gb) over usb drives freeze the system. I get no slowdowns, no error messages, the pc just freezes during the transfer and requires a cold boot to work again. All other usb devices work so its definately related to usb storage devices only. Strangely, usb thumb drive and/or hard drives work after the reboot, given the system boots up with the storage devices connected, and i can then move the files.. Im running win 7 64-bit on an amd phenom 2 system with 790fx chipset.. updating chipset drivers and mainboard bios didnt help. Any suggestions??
Thanks..
-
Anonymous
2010-03-14T21:56:34+00:00 I tried this and no difference. Any other ideas
-
Anonymous
2010-03-05T02:05:41+00:00 Can you try the workaround discussed here http://windows7tipsonline.com/USB\_Problem.htm to see if it fixes the problem. It basically reduces your RAM size to 2GB.
From an elevated command prompt (right click on the command prompt shortcut, run as administrator):
- Type "bcdedit /set truncatememory 0x80000000" (no quotes)
- Reboot
- Go to control panel -> System and Security -> view amount of RAM and processor speed.
- It should report 4GB (2GB available)
To undo this, open an elevated command prompt again:
- Type "bcdedit /deletevalue truncatememory" (no quotes)
- Reboot
- Go to control panel -> System and Security -> view amount of RAM and processor speed.
- It should report 4GB