Large file transfer stops working when using USB hard drive and Windows 7 64 bit, Intel chipset

Anonymous
2010-02-04T16:15:04+00:00

I have an Acer Aspire 8735G running Windows 7 home premium 64 bit. I have a clean install and all the latest BIOS and drivers from the manufacturer. It also in NOT running Nvidia chip for the USB enhanced controller. It is an Intel controller. When I use any USB hard drive, the transfer starts then stops responding part way through. It seems to stop at various points in the transfer. I have to reboot to get the USB port to start working again. This happens with large files and folders with a large amount of files within. Can anyone help ?

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-02-08T04:46:31+00:00

    Thanks for posting that.

    In that file, I see that drivers for Acronis were still installed and the app itself was still in your startup folder.  You might want to try uninstalling the app again, and make sure the drivers are removed when the app is gone.

    I see a few other apps that would also be involved in file transfers:  Avast antivirus, a-squared free antivirus, NTI backup Now, and MyWinLocker encryption software.

    I'd suggest uninstalling the apps individually to see if it's isolated to a specific one.

    For avast, you should be able to uninstall that on a temporary basis to see if that resolves your problem.  I also see a service named "a-squared free", which appears to be another antivirus app.  Do you have 2 AV apps installed?

    For MyWinLocker, I'm not sure if it's that simple.  You probably have to follow some process to decrypt your files before uninstalling the app.  I don't know anything about this app, so unfortunately I can't guide you on the appropriate uninstall steps.  You might want to check their website to see if they offer suggestions on the best way to do this.


    Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center**

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-02-08T00:42:36+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-02-07T23:06:19+00:00

    Sounds like there may be a driver loading when not in safe mode that's causing this issue.

    Please run the application msinfo32 on your machine and follow the steps in the app to save the output to a file.

    Then post that file in a public folder on http://skydrive.live.com and post the link here.  I'd like to see what other apps are installed.


    Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center**

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-02-07T22:34:49+00:00

    I tried uninstalling as suggested but it made no difference. If I go to msconfig and do a diagnostic startup the problem still exist. If I start in safe mode the transfers work perfectly. I can turn off all the startup items and all the non microsoft services and the problem still exist.  Safe mode works  fine for the large file transfers. I hope this information helps.

    Thanks for working with me on this problem

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2010-02-07T02:31:25+00:00

    Try uninstalling Acronis True Image (before you do that, make sure you have the product key and the install media so you can reinstall the app).

    Then try copying files to see if you still encounter the issue.


    Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center**

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments