"Ease of Access" pops up on logon screen as I am typing my password.

Anonymous
2009-10-27T22:56:10+00:00

Everytime I try to log into Windows 7 Pro on my laptop.  The "Ease of Access" dialog pops up as I am typing my password, and the letter I am typing when it pops up is not entered into the password field.  I have tried going into the Ease of Access control panel using the Administrator account, turning off all Ease of Access features, clicking "Change Administrative Settings" and checking "Apply all settings to the log on desktop."

This does not solve the problem.  Is there an OFFICIAL way to COMPLETELY disable Ease of Access?  I have seen some apps that claim to replace system files to get rid of it, but I'd prefer not to go that route.  At this point, I shouldn't have to for something that is clearly a product defect that people have been complaining about for a while in Vista.

Thank you for your assistance.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-12-10T11:03:54+00:00

This is a HP problem. When connected to a remote device or server, once you go back to your local desktop or lock the pc while using the remote desktop, HP PC's will act as if the windows button is being held down, this causing any key shortcuts to act, "WIN+u" being easy of acces shortcut.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-08-10T09:24:59+00:00

    I too agree with previous posts, this issue happens for me on Vista, only when I have an active RDP sesion in focus when I lock the session. If i focus another windows/app or I minimise the RDP(s) the problem doesn't exists.

    I've been able to replicate the problem.

    If you do get the problem, the band aid is, press the windows key once or more if you need to, i just do it once.. and it's resolved for this login..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-08-12T13:01:40+00:00

    Hello Kay, & everyone else!

    First we'll disable it

    Go to Start Menu - Run - CMD and click OK. If you can't run a Command Prompt, go to

    • Start Menu - All Programs - Accessories and Right-Click Command Prompt and Run as Administrator. Type or paste the following code into the Command Window
    • cacls %windir%\system32\utilman.exe /C /D Everyone

    and hit Enter

    • You will be prompted with a Y/N just type Y and hit Enter and close the Command Prompt

    To enable it back open your Command Prompt and Type or Paste the following code into it hit Enter

    • cacls %windir%system32\utilman.exe /E /G "Everyone":R

    ****The next option is to Remove the Button from the Logon Screen Completely and will require a little understanding of editing a dll file. goto

    My Computer\C:\Windows\System32 and locate the file Authui.dll .First Right-Click and make a copy and place it in a secure place in case you change your mind. Open the dll in a resurce editor ( I use PE Explorer which can be found by Googling). Locate the folder UIFILE and in this folder you will see 4 files, 3 xaml files and 1 textfile. We will be editing the 3 xaml files. Double-Click the file named 12400 and scroll down till you come across the following code

    < if id="atom(Accessibility)">

    delete everything following that code which will be 46 lines of code till you reach

    <if id="atom(ToggleTabletKeyboard)">

    stop at the line above that. Click save and open the next 2 files 12401 and 12402

    Optionally you can edit the first one Right-Click Select all and copy, click save and open the other 2 Right-Click Select all and paste. These 3 files are identical. Save all 3 and Save changes to the file. Logoff and wala nomore Ease of Access Button

    Hope this helps

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-04-14T18:08:20+00:00

    It happens to me after windows has been running continuous for about a week.  I've always rebooted to solve the problem.

    Maybe its Microsoft's way of forcing us to reboot periodically.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-04-28T23:22:19+00:00

    I see that no one figured this out since 2009.  After my cat sat on my laptop keyboard (she likes the warmth), I had the same issue. The breakthrough was when someone mentioned that Win + U would bring up the Ease of Access window just like my pressing U now.  So I figured it must be something with the Win key.  I pushed and held the Win key for a long time, then pushed it a few more times, then tried U and this time if finally typed a U as it should. Hope this helps others.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments