"Ease of Access" pops up on logon screen as I am typing my password.

Anonymous
2009-10-27T22:56:10+00:00

Everytime I try to log into Windows 7 Pro on my laptop.  The "Ease of Access" dialog pops up as I am typing my password, and the letter I am typing when it pops up is not entered into the password field.  I have tried going into the Ease of Access control panel using the Administrator account, turning off all Ease of Access features, clicking "Change Administrative Settings" and checking "Apply all settings to the log on desktop."

This does not solve the problem.  Is there an OFFICIAL way to COMPLETELY disable Ease of Access?  I have seen some apps that claim to replace system files to get rid of it, but I'd prefer not to go that route.  At this point, I shouldn't have to for something that is clearly a product defect that people have been complaining about for a while in Vista.

Thank you for your assistance.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-12-10T11:03:54+00:00

This is a HP problem. When connected to a remote device or server, once you go back to your local desktop or lock the pc while using the remote desktop, HP PC's will act as if the windows button is being held down, this causing any key shortcuts to act, "WIN+u" being easy of acces shortcut.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2009-10-28T07:12:11+00:00

    Follow the following steps to disable Onscreen Keyboard at start-up:

    Go to Control Panel and select "Ease of Access Center " (WIN + U would do the same)

    Select "Use the Computer without a mouse or keyboard ".

    Un-check "Use On-Screen Keyboard ".

    Click Save . You're done!!

    Cheers!


    Life sucks! Get used to it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2009-10-30T18:24:48+00:00

    Thanks for the quick reply.  "Use On-Screen Keyboard" is already unchecked, and applied to logon as described in my initial post.  It is funny you mention the "U" key.  The problem is not consistent.  Half the time I can type my password without issues, half the time I can't.  However, every time I can't, that frigging box pops up when typing the "U" in my password.  Come to think of it, I have NEVER had this pop-up in accounts that don't have a "U" in the password.  When it does happen, I can type "U" by disabling something using Win + T.

    Thank you for your continued assistance.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-04-28T14:55:16+00:00

    Same problem with the "u" character here. I have to press the Win key before I can type a regular "u" ... out of curiosity what kind of a computer do you have? I have a MacBook Pro running Boot Camp and I'm curious if the problem lies there vs. Windows.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-05-05T12:14:57+00:00

    I have the same issue on my system. It is Windows related, but virtualization may be an additional complicating issue. Is everyone here using it?

    I am running a VMware virtual machine with Windows XP to provide compatibility to my old programs that won't run on Win7. Yes, I could have used the virtual XP that comes with Win7, but it was a smoother path for me to use the VMware converter to convert my old XP install. I am glad to hear that pressing the "Win" key can get me around this. I could change the password, eliminating the "u", but I'd rather not. I frequently lock the screen inside the virtual machine. This seems to doom me to the Ease of Access popup, as both the VM and Win7 are locked, and when I return to login, the popup returns as well.

    I'm guessing that the "Win" key is acting like a toggle, and that the state of the toggle is somehow being left "on" when we are getting the popup. There may be other occasions when the state is on, without virtualization. If I can toggle it "off", that to me will be considered a fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments