"Ease of Access" pops up on logon screen as I am typing my password.

Anonymous
2009-10-27T22:56:10+00:00

Everytime I try to log into Windows 7 Pro on my laptop.  The "Ease of Access" dialog pops up as I am typing my password, and the letter I am typing when it pops up is not entered into the password field.  I have tried going into the Ease of Access control panel using the Administrator account, turning off all Ease of Access features, clicking "Change Administrative Settings" and checking "Apply all settings to the log on desktop."

This does not solve the problem.  Is there an OFFICIAL way to COMPLETELY disable Ease of Access?  I have seen some apps that claim to replace system files to get rid of it, but I'd prefer not to go that route.  At this point, I shouldn't have to for something that is clearly a product defect that people have been complaining about for a while in Vista.

Thank you for your assistance.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-12-10T11:03:54+00:00

This is a HP problem. When connected to a remote device or server, once you go back to your local desktop or lock the pc while using the remote desktop, HP PC's will act as if the windows button is being held down, this causing any key shortcuts to act, "WIN+u" being easy of acces shortcut.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-01-17T00:25:34+00:00

    For me it was a sticky keys issue. I just hit the Windows key a few times and the issue went away. I always check all the system keys when I get odd behavior.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-11-11T21:46:24+00:00

    is microsoft aware of this bug? has anybody on this thread submitted it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-11-10T17:32:39+00:00

    David F. - The quickest way to get around this is to press the Windows key several times. As you said the Ease of Access Panel pops up when you press the "u" key while entering a password, when it does cancel it and then press the Windows key 2 or 3 times and then you can enter your password without the Easy of Access Panel popping up again! 

    For me this issue only arises if I have one or more RDP sessions (windows) open and the window focus is on a RDP window when I lock the computer. So if I have an RDP session but before I lock the computer (Windows + L) I click any other window (e.g. Firefox) so that it's that window that has focus, then the Ease of Access Panel doesn't appear!

    It's one of the most bizarre and irritating things on Windows 7!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-11-10T17:24:59+00:00

    I thought I was crazy when I found this myself.  I've had it both on my laptop and in a VM I just created.  Even reinstalling the laptop didn't really fix the problem.

    Symptoms:

    • The 'u' key triggers the Ease of Access Panel
    • Hitting Esc removes the panel, but doesn't fix anything, the next 'u' will trigger it
    • I always lock my system with Win+L, but this problem does not always occur.  On the VM, I don't use the Win+L, it just locks from either a timeout, or VMWare detecting that my local workstation is locked.
    • Hitting Ctrl-Alt-Del always works to clear this problem, including the VM.. (I use the menu option to send Ctrl-Alt-Del to the vm.
    • If you use the onscreen keyboard to type the password in, it will work.

    I'm hoping MS will pick this up and fix it.  It sounds like a filter driver bug.. but who knows :-(

    David F.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments