"Ease of Access" pops up on logon screen as I am typing my password.

Anonymous
2009-10-27T22:56:10+00:00

Everytime I try to log into Windows 7 Pro on my laptop.  The "Ease of Access" dialog pops up as I am typing my password, and the letter I am typing when it pops up is not entered into the password field.  I have tried going into the Ease of Access control panel using the Administrator account, turning off all Ease of Access features, clicking "Change Administrative Settings" and checking "Apply all settings to the log on desktop."

This does not solve the problem.  Is there an OFFICIAL way to COMPLETELY disable Ease of Access?  I have seen some apps that claim to replace system files to get rid of it, but I'd prefer not to go that route.  At this point, I shouldn't have to for something that is clearly a product defect that people have been complaining about for a while in Vista.

Thank you for your assistance.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-12-10T11:03:54+00:00

This is a HP problem. When connected to a remote device or server, once you go back to your local desktop or lock the pc while using the remote desktop, HP PC's will act as if the windows button is being held down, this causing any key shortcuts to act, "WIN+u" being easy of acces shortcut.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-07-25T05:01:45+00:00

    It is really very annoying. 

    Still there seems to be no resolution of this problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-07-24T14:39:33+00:00

    In addition to David's solution, you can also select "switch user" and then select the same account anyway. This seems to clear the problem. 

    You'd think we'd hear of a fix coming down, but nothing from microsoft. I work with a few global enterprises still on Win XP, they have a list of issues stopping them from moving up, this issue is at the top of the list for several firms. One company has this issue with every windows 7 laptop, every time they lock from being idle, can't use the 'u' key. Every time. They told their testers the work around, some just stopped using 'u' in their passwords. When brought up to MS, they say its a configuration issue, and tell us to check our settings and builds.

    At this rate, many of us will just wait and test Windows 8.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-05-26T00:34:24+00:00

    Problem is fixed with windows key. but this has been going on forever. glad i found this band-aid. For a problem that needs to be updated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-05-24T11:08:38+00:00

    Same problem here and Microsoft doesn't bother fixing this..

    Frustrating

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments