Windows Backup .... Cannot create a file when that file already exists. (0x800700B7)

Anonymous
2009-01-31T10:20:27+00:00

I installed VISTA 64 last summer.

For the first few months I was able to do BACKUP FILES without a problem

Now when I try I get this error message

Windows Backup

File Backup could not save your automatic backup settings for thefollowing reason:

Cannot create a file when that file already exists. (0x800700B7)

Please try again

I can still do a COMPLETE PC backup

I've had other issues with VISTA 64 you can see the resolutions ANSWERS beta at

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/c6677691-6bd2-452d-9995-c110c51d2702/

when I do a search on google with

Cannot create a file when that file already exists. (0x800700B7)

I see that there are many with the same problem

ANY ideas and collaborations are welcome

:)

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-02-24T19:48:12+00:00

Well this issue has been finally resolved thanks to 

MS SUPPORT engineer Della and her friends. Please see her reference below.

I must admit that this problem had dozens of people baffled for months.

So after asking for Della's permission to post it here I can say that this resolved it 100%

So, thanks to every one that was inviolved in this

Take care

g

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I would apologies that we may not run the command prompt, as this is not commended and cannot resolve our issue.

After discussing it with my fellow with engineers and further researching on the internet, let us try the following steps for troubleshooting.

Backup registry keys:

  1. Click “Start” -> Under “Start Search” -> Type “Regedit” and press Enter
  2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache
  3. Right click on TaskCache and select export
  4. Save to a file on the desktop.

After that, please delete the WindowsBackup folder in the TaskCache\Tree\Microsoft\Windows.

Please try to the WINDOWS BACKUP files again.

This time, let us try to set the automatic file backup again. Please try to set the follow settings.

How often: weekly

What day: Monday

What time: 19:00

Please try the above steps and let me know the results at your convenience. I look forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Della Li

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Microsoft Windows Vista Support Professional

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2009-02-02T20:12:49+00:00

    This might explain the connection between System Restore and Backup in Vista.

    Shadow Copy

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Copy

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2009-02-03T16:20:34+00:00

    Well I'll wait and see if someone else has other solutons because I just repaired VISTA 64 updates after being down for 3 months. I did this using the UPGRADE on the installation disk. So messing around again with them I'm not thrilled by it. Also I'm using acronis to do manual backup of files and the windows FULL PC BACKUP works. So I do have a work around

    ;)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2009-02-16T12:30:25+00:00

    If this is an automatic backup that fails,  open Task Scheduler and delete the folder "Backup"  Under the Microsoft/Windows in the Tree.  If it will not delete, go to C/Windows/System32/Tasks and delete the folder.  Restart and re-create your auto-backup.  This fixed the error for me.  Each time you create an auto backup...Windows creates this folder.  If it is already there, you will get this error.  This worked for me!  Please let me know if it works for you.

    TP

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2009-02-16T14:46:05+00:00

    Thanks for your help on this but

    When I use the task scheduler it will not let me deleet the folder.

    And when I go under system32/tasks/microsoft/windows/    there are NO backup folder or file

    thanks

    :)

    g

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments