Windows Backup .... Cannot create a file when that file already exists. (0x800700B7)

Anonymous
2009-01-31T10:20:27+00:00

I installed VISTA 64 last summer.

For the first few months I was able to do BACKUP FILES without a problem

Now when I try I get this error message

Windows Backup

File Backup could not save your automatic backup settings for thefollowing reason:

Cannot create a file when that file already exists. (0x800700B7)

Please try again

I can still do a COMPLETE PC backup

I've had other issues with VISTA 64 you can see the resolutions ANSWERS beta at

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/c6677691-6bd2-452d-9995-c110c51d2702/

when I do a search on google with

Cannot create a file when that file already exists. (0x800700B7)

I see that there are many with the same problem

ANY ideas and collaborations are welcome

:)

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-02-24T19:48:12+00:00

Well this issue has been finally resolved thanks to 

MS SUPPORT engineer Della and her friends. Please see her reference below.

I must admit that this problem had dozens of people baffled for months.

So after asking for Della's permission to post it here I can say that this resolved it 100%

So, thanks to every one that was inviolved in this

Take care

g

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I would apologies that we may not run the command prompt, as this is not commended and cannot resolve our issue.

After discussing it with my fellow with engineers and further researching on the internet, let us try the following steps for troubleshooting.

Backup registry keys:

  1. Click “Start” -> Under “Start Search” -> Type “Regedit” and press Enter
  2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache
  3. Right click on TaskCache and select export
  4. Save to a file on the desktop.

After that, please delete the WindowsBackup folder in the TaskCache\Tree\Microsoft\Windows.

Please try to the WINDOWS BACKUP files again.

This time, let us try to set the automatic file backup again. Please try to set the follow settings.

How often: weekly

What day: Monday

What time: 19:00

Please try the above steps and let me know the results at your convenience. I look forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Della Li

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Microsoft Windows Vista Support Professional

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-05-04T16:28:31+00:00

    Same Problem with the 0X800700B7 when trying to Manually creat a Restore Point - Above instructions left out 2 items - the following should also be deleted: In the Registry: Run Regedit. Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\Microsoft\Windows and delete the SystemRestore Folder . Exit Regedit.

    Delete: C:WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\TASKS\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\SYSTEMRESTORE  folder

    Reboot System - now retry the System Restore - worked for me!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-05-04T19:41:12+00:00

    Thank you for posting that additional information.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-06-15T22:17:58+00:00

    THANK YOU...THANK YOU.

    You have solved an issue that I've have for a while. Now after 4 months I can finally back-up my system again.

    Thanks Again,

    Bob J L

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-09-24T00:32:17+00:00

    Just FYI, I was getting the exact error on an 2008 R2 SP1 server:

    "Cannot create a file when that file already exists"

    The proposed REGEDIT solution worked.  Except the folder name was backup and not windowsbackup (which I assume is a vista thing).

    Many thanks!

    ps. the bogus EventID 5 error was HRESULT: 2147942583 - which was bogus.  It wasn't until I went to the backup app and got the above error message that lead me here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments