Windows Backup .... Cannot create a file when that file already exists. (0x800700B7)

Anonymous
2009-01-31T10:20:27+00:00

I installed VISTA 64 last summer.

For the first few months I was able to do BACKUP FILES without a problem

Now when I try I get this error message

Windows Backup

File Backup could not save your automatic backup settings for thefollowing reason:

Cannot create a file when that file already exists. (0x800700B7)

Please try again

I can still do a COMPLETE PC backup

I've had other issues with VISTA 64 you can see the resolutions ANSWERS beta at

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/c6677691-6bd2-452d-9995-c110c51d2702/

when I do a search on google with

Cannot create a file when that file already exists. (0x800700B7)

I see that there are many with the same problem

ANY ideas and collaborations are welcome

:)

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-02-24T19:48:12+00:00

Well this issue has been finally resolved thanks to 

MS SUPPORT engineer Della and her friends. Please see her reference below.

I must admit that this problem had dozens of people baffled for months.

So after asking for Della's permission to post it here I can say that this resolved it 100%

So, thanks to every one that was inviolved in this

Take care

g

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I would apologies that we may not run the command prompt, as this is not commended and cannot resolve our issue.

After discussing it with my fellow with engineers and further researching on the internet, let us try the following steps for troubleshooting.

Backup registry keys:

  1. Click “Start” -> Under “Start Search” -> Type “Regedit” and press Enter
  2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache
  3. Right click on TaskCache and select export
  4. Save to a file on the desktop.

After that, please delete the WindowsBackup folder in the TaskCache\Tree\Microsoft\Windows.

Please try to the WINDOWS BACKUP files again.

This time, let us try to set the automatic file backup again. Please try to set the follow settings.

How often: weekly

What day: Monday

What time: 19:00

Please try the above steps and let me know the results at your convenience. I look forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Della Li

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Microsoft Windows Vista Support Professional

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-02-13T14:48:41+00:00

    Hello,

    It's really good that every one is still here to help the stranded.

    We have all been stranded up a creek without a paddle at one time or another ...

    i can only suggest after you tried her FIX above from Della and then contact Della Li or someone else at MS support.

    Send me your email and I will give you her details

    Above what? How would I send you my e-mail address?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-02-13T14:24:03+00:00

    What recovery options come with your machine.  Is it the usual OEM of restore to factory defaults, or are you one of the lucky few who actually have a Vista DVD with the possibility of performing a type of repair install (upgrade over itself)?

    I am unsure how "lucky" I am. I purchased the machine during that period when Microsoft let me purchase Vista Ultimate by making me install Windows XP first. I was then given a "certificate" promising to send the Vista DVD when it became available. I was, eventually, sent the DVD and installed Vista. I then complained that I had wished for Vista Ultimate. I was sent to something called "Microsoft Live Update" (or something like that) and downloaded the Ultimate Update.

    This has caused many problems -- most having to do with the plethora of "Product Keys." Some time ago I had a crash that required a reinstall. I found out that my Ultimate "Product Key" is only valid AFTER I completely install the basic Vista and then install the upgrade file. (In other words, I have to install TWICE.) Most importantly, I don't have access to the Windows Complete Backup until the Ultimate installation is completed. This takes about 24 hours to complete. I would rather cut off my thumbs than go through that again.

    Anyway, if you would explain the "repair" option you have in mind, I most likely have all the items needed. I should also mention that I have a Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade sitting here on my desk waiting until I resolve this "restore" issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-02-13T14:23:54+00:00

    Hello,

    It's really good that every one is still here to help the stranded.

    We have all been stranded up a creek without a paddle at one time or another ...

    i can only suggest after you tried her FIX above from Della and then contact Della Li or someone else at MS support.

    Send me your email and I will give you her details

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-02-12T20:09:20+00:00

    Windows 7 - System Restore Points Keep Getting Deleted

    http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/58781-system-restore-points-keep-getting-deleted.html

    Some third-party tools can can cause the deletion of restore points in Windows Vista.

    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/missingrpv.html

    http://www.google.com/search?q=restore+points+keep+getting+deleted+vista&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-au:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe= 

    How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/929135

    310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560

    Something is definitely wrong if restore points are getting deleted, maybe it is time to save your valuable data and consider the recovery options available to you?

    What recovery options come with your machine.  Is it the usual OEM of restore to factory defaults, or are you one of the lucky few who actually have a Vista DVD with the possibility of performing a type of repair install (upgrade over itself)?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments