Windows Backup .... Cannot create a file when that file already exists. (0x800700B7)

Anonymous
2009-01-31T10:20:27+00:00

I installed VISTA 64 last summer.

For the first few months I was able to do BACKUP FILES without a problem

Now when I try I get this error message

Windows Backup

File Backup could not save your automatic backup settings for thefollowing reason:

Cannot create a file when that file already exists. (0x800700B7)

Please try again

I can still do a COMPLETE PC backup

I've had other issues with VISTA 64 you can see the resolutions ANSWERS beta at

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/c6677691-6bd2-452d-9995-c110c51d2702/

when I do a search on google with

Cannot create a file when that file already exists. (0x800700B7)

I see that there are many with the same problem

ANY ideas and collaborations are welcome

:)

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-02-24T19:48:12+00:00

Well this issue has been finally resolved thanks to 

MS SUPPORT engineer Della and her friends. Please see her reference below.

I must admit that this problem had dozens of people baffled for months.

So after asking for Della's permission to post it here I can say that this resolved it 100%

So, thanks to every one that was inviolved in this

Take care

g

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I would apologies that we may not run the command prompt, as this is not commended and cannot resolve our issue.

After discussing it with my fellow with engineers and further researching on the internet, let us try the following steps for troubleshooting.

Backup registry keys:

  1. Click “Start” -> Under “Start Search” -> Type “Regedit” and press Enter
  2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache
  3. Right click on TaskCache and select export
  4. Save to a file on the desktop.

After that, please delete the WindowsBackup folder in the TaskCache\Tree\Microsoft\Windows.

Please try to the WINDOWS BACKUP files again.

This time, let us try to set the automatic file backup again. Please try to set the follow settings.

How often: weekly

What day: Monday

What time: 19:00

Please try the above steps and let me know the results at your convenience. I look forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Della Li

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Microsoft Windows Vista Support Professional

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-03-22T18:10:49+00:00

    Hi, I had the same problem and the solution works, but what should we do next with the files exported to the desktop?. Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-02-13T19:10:32+00:00

    I'm glad that you have solved the problem at least to your immediate satisfaction if not completely.

    Just to comment on the repair question you raised earlier.  You might found that just going ahead with the upgrade to Windows 7 will solve (and fix) your Vista problems, it would certainly be an option.

    The method to perform a Repair Install is outlined in this thread.  Just make sure you are repairing the correct ServicePack version with any repair media that you use.  Good idea to make a backup of the whole partition first.

    "set association troubles in vista"

    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistaperformance/thread/7d8343ea-b3ea-47f5-8a23-c128a733afd1

    Or this one.

    How To Perform a Repair Installation For Vista

    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-02-13T18:07:46+00:00

    Okay, I am unsure if I have a fix but... Thanks to http://windowssecrets.com/ newsletter I downloaded "Quick Restore Maker" from http://www.thewindowsclub.com/create-a-system-restore-point-in-1-click-with-quick-restore-maker.

    This program created a Restore Point for me. However, it, like those before, deleted my previous point. I, then, went to http://bertk.mvps.org/html/diskspacev.html and decided it was faster to download the vbs file to increase the Shadow Storage area than to type in all that stuff in CMD. This increased the area to 5GB and, lo and behold, creating a new Restore Point left the old Point intact.

    Now, I still cannot create a new Restore Point using System Tools> Restore Point but I will simply give up and go on with my life... unless I discover that 5GB was not large enough (the C: drive is a 400GB drive).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-02-13T14:58:04+00:00

    I looked at the "Windows 7 -- System Restore Points Keep Getting Deleted." It wasn't that usful for Vista but... as a result, I did run "vssadmin list shadowstorage" and found that my C: drive used 666.219MB, allocated 900MB, and had a Maximum 1.041GB. The other four drive showed numbers in the 10s of GBs. Is there a way to manually set these points in Vista? I find a way in Windows 7 but can not find any way to do it in Vista.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments