Network Share not working through Windows 7 home premium

Anonymous
2009-11-23T11:08:24+00:00

Hello Friends,

I am have an issue with windows 7 home premium, whenever i am trying to connect any other OS like windows serevr 2003/XP from windows 7 home premium then getting a pormpt to put the network credientials, so after entring the same again it's asking seems to be not accepting.

ex: when trying to connect like \Server-A\ABCfolder then getting a prompt but when ever trying RDC is going through , i checked and verified the network sharing setting all seems to be fine.

Here i would like to update that WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM IS ON WORKGROUP AND I AM TRYING TO CONNECT THE MAHCINE WHICH ARE IN DOMAIN.

ANY SUGGESTIONS???

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-24T09:40:33+00:00

Thanks for your replies... The server is stand alone in the same workgroup with the other PCs. Anyway that seems to be a problem of windows 7 home since ultimate and professional edition connect properly to win 2000 share using the same user and password which that I am using with win7 home ed.   I guess that the windows 7 pc does not send the proper authentication info to the remote pc.  

The solution: Registry editing for LAN manager authentication level (in Home edition this can be configured through registry)

How to do it:  

1 . Open registry editor ( Start search - regedit)

2 . Browse to  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa

3.  Create a new DWORD value  with the following properties:   NAME: LmCompatibilityLevel    

                                                                                            VALUE: 1

  1. Restart your PC and try the connection again...

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-05-15T02:23:56+00:00

    have problem here....

    Have a laptop Win7 Home Premium and desktop Win7 Pro. Made sharing config identical on both and cannot access laptop from desktop, but can assess vise versa. At 1 point received the following error: 0x80070043. can access resources from laptop which are in Public folder, but when i try to access anything else (shared few folders), receive error message that i do not have rights to access that location. What can be a problem and a fix for it?

    PeDRo

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-06-12T20:34:23+00:00

    couple of things....don't know if you chked this or not; on both are the guest acct settings the same ( on or off). Have you chked the permissions on the security tab for those peticular shares.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-07-10T16:15:07+00:00

    You guys are awesome.  This little patch to the registry did the trick. After an hour and 20 minuets either on hold or transfered 10 times with Microsoft, I find the correct fix here. 

    I had the same issue after I was forced to upgrade one of my PC's to Windows 7. I could no longer access the folder shares or printer I had on my Windows 2000 Pro system.  But the Win 2000 system could see the shared folders I setup on the Win 7 machine.  All I got was the bad username or password and sometimes 'you don't have premission to access that folder'.  Microsoft decided the problem was in the Win 2000 PC and wanted to charge me $259 'if' they could resolve the problem.

    After finding the right way to search for this problem, I came accros this post and it took 2 minuets to implement and 5 minuets to reboot.  Then I had all my shares back, and both ways.  The only difference was as follows:

    1 . Open registry editor ( Start search - regedit)

    2 . Browse to  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa

    3.  Create a new DWORD value  with the following properties:   NAME: LmCompatibilityLevel    

                                                                                                VALUE: 3 (should be 1 to work)

    My entry was already present and set to 3

    After I changed it to the value of 1 and rebooted, all was fine.

    YOU GUYS ROCK.  Thanks so much for the post and simple fix that Microsoft should have helped me with.

    Now I just have to figure out what I'm going to do when Win 2000 Pro goes end of life on 13 July 2010. Buy another upgrade?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-07-28T19:27:52+00:00

    C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords assigned to each user account can be different; the accounts/passwords just need to exist and match on all machines. DO NOT NEGLECT TO CREATE PASSWORDS, EVEN IF ONLY SIMPLE ONES . If you wish a machine to boot directly to the Desktop (into one particular user's account) for convenience, you can do this:

    Start>Search box>type: netplwiz [enter]

    Click on Continue (or supply an administrator's password) when prompted by UAC

    Uncheck the option "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer". Select a user account to automatically log on by clicking on the desired account to highlight it and then hit OK. Enter the correct password for that user account (if there is one) when prompted. Leave it blank if there is no password (null).

    Step(s) C seems to be the answer to my problem - trying to share a folder on a W7 Home Premium machine after adding it to an existing workgroup (all XPs) without users having to enter a password.  I'd done all the other stuff and have been looking for days(!) for the missing piece. I now have one user account on each machine with the same password, did the "Uncheck the option 'Users must enter..' etc." steps and can now access the folder from all the PCs without entering user name & password.  I DID have "Turn OFF password protected sharing" checked, though - and when I changed it to "Turn ON" as you suggested the problem seemed to return.  Any change in any of the steps now seems to screw things up, so I'm going to leave it as is.  I guess I'll have to take all this into account when I connect our laptops through the wireless router too. It shouldn't have to be this hard - it just shouldn't. But THANKS for the help; I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it really is fixed.

    Larry Golyzniak

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments