Network Share not working through Windows 7 home premium

Anonymous
2009-11-23T11:08:24+00:00

Hello Friends,

I am have an issue with windows 7 home premium, whenever i am trying to connect any other OS like windows serevr 2003/XP from windows 7 home premium then getting a pormpt to put the network credientials, so after entring the same again it's asking seems to be not accepting.

ex: when trying to connect like \Server-A\ABCfolder then getting a prompt but when ever trying RDC is going through , i checked and verified the network sharing setting all seems to be fine.

Here i would like to update that WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM IS ON WORKGROUP AND I AM TRYING TO CONNECT THE MAHCINE WHICH ARE IN DOMAIN.

ANY SUGGESTIONS???

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-24T09:40:33+00:00

Thanks for your replies... The server is stand alone in the same workgroup with the other PCs. Anyway that seems to be a problem of windows 7 home since ultimate and professional edition connect properly to win 2000 share using the same user and password which that I am using with win7 home ed.   I guess that the windows 7 pc does not send the proper authentication info to the remote pc.  

The solution: Registry editing for LAN manager authentication level (in Home edition this can be configured through registry)

How to do it:  

1 . Open registry editor ( Start search - regedit)

2 . Browse to  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa

3.  Create a new DWORD value  with the following properties:   NAME: LmCompatibilityLevel    

                                                                                            VALUE: 1

  1. Restart your PC and try the connection again...

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-04-13T18:50:28+00:00

    OK. Shared folder is on a Win2k8 R2 Server. I am accessing from a different workgroup from a laptop running Win7 Ultimate.

    I try to map a network drive on the Win7 machine to the shared folder. I use the correct domain and have the same user and password on both machines.

    I get a message box telling me that it is attempting to connect to the folder, then a message box saying Windows cannot access the shared folder.

    On the Win2k8 R2 machine network discovery and filesharing is enabled and allowed through the firewall.

    I am stuck! Please help


    Michael J. Hill

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-04-14T06:39:11+00:00

    Check event viewer for events regarding tha failed attempt on both machines ... and post them if any

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-04-15T04:49:57+00:00

    I have the same issue - I tried the above and it still didn't work....

    Any other ideas?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-04-17T06:44:27+00:00

    I don't think Microsoft thought about connecting to XP and so it just does not work.  however, they insist that you should be able to do it but none of their suggestions seem to work.  I don't think they really care about solving this problem.  Or, perhaps it will have to be solved in another release which they have not figured out yet.  It's very frustrating.  I'm trying to find a workaround for this problem and if I do, I'll post it here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments