Network Share not working through Windows 7 home premium

Anonymous
2009-11-23T11:08:24+00:00

Hello Friends,

I am have an issue with windows 7 home premium, whenever i am trying to connect any other OS like windows serevr 2003/XP from windows 7 home premium then getting a pormpt to put the network credientials, so after entring the same again it's asking seems to be not accepting.

ex: when trying to connect like \Server-A\ABCfolder then getting a prompt but when ever trying RDC is going through , i checked and verified the network sharing setting all seems to be fine.

Here i would like to update that WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM IS ON WORKGROUP AND I AM TRYING TO CONNECT THE MAHCINE WHICH ARE IN DOMAIN.

ANY SUGGESTIONS???

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-24T09:40:33+00:00

Thanks for your replies... The server is stand alone in the same workgroup with the other PCs. Anyway that seems to be a problem of windows 7 home since ultimate and professional edition connect properly to win 2000 share using the same user and password which that I am using with win7 home ed.   I guess that the windows 7 pc does not send the proper authentication info to the remote pc.  

The solution: Registry editing for LAN manager authentication level (in Home edition this can be configured through registry)

How to do it:  

1 . Open registry editor ( Start search - regedit)

2 . Browse to  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa

3.  Create a new DWORD value  with the following properties:   NAME: LmCompatibilityLevel    

                                                                                            VALUE: 1

  1. Restart your PC and try the connection again...

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-06-21T17:35:38+00:00

    Instead I changed my network in Network and Sharing Center from "Home network" to "Work network" and everything works for me now.  I wonder if this accomplishes the same thing as defining the DWORD LmCompatibilityLevel?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-04-07T03:09:26+00:00

    Adding this registry key did the job for me.  Using Windows 7 Home Premium.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-03-30T15:33:16+00:00

    Great !! this has work for me as well. Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-11-28T03:42:21+00:00

    The registry hack worked for me.  I had a Win 7 Pro 64 workstation that had been connecting flawlessly to shares on my Win 2003 Server, but abruptly stopped accepting them (this was right after a Microsoft Update).  I knew the credentials worked because my fstab maps on my Ubuntu system still worked, only my Win 7 box couldn't get in.  The LmCompatibilityLevel registry hack did the trick - thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments