Network Share not working through Windows 7 home premium

Anonymous
2009-11-23T11:08:24+00:00

Hello Friends,

I am have an issue with windows 7 home premium, whenever i am trying to connect any other OS like windows serevr 2003/XP from windows 7 home premium then getting a pormpt to put the network credientials, so after entring the same again it's asking seems to be not accepting.

ex: when trying to connect like \Server-A\ABCfolder then getting a prompt but when ever trying RDC is going through , i checked and verified the network sharing setting all seems to be fine.

Here i would like to update that WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM IS ON WORKGROUP AND I AM TRYING TO CONNECT THE MAHCINE WHICH ARE IN DOMAIN.

ANY SUGGESTIONS???

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-24T09:40:33+00:00

Thanks for your replies... The server is stand alone in the same workgroup with the other PCs. Anyway that seems to be a problem of windows 7 home since ultimate and professional edition connect properly to win 2000 share using the same user and password which that I am using with win7 home ed.   I guess that the windows 7 pc does not send the proper authentication info to the remote pc.  

The solution: Registry editing for LAN manager authentication level (in Home edition this can be configured through registry)

How to do it:  

1 . Open registry editor ( Start search - regedit)

2 . Browse to  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa

3.  Create a new DWORD value  with the following properties:   NAME: LmCompatibilityLevel    

                                                                                            VALUE: 1

  1. Restart your PC and try the connection again...

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-04-21T21:03:24+00:00

    Try to turn off the firewall on the XP machine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-04-21T20:22:03+00:00

    I HAD exactly the same problem.  But thanks to you I'm now connected to my Windows 2000 machine.

    This was really frustrating because I have a Windows 7 Professional machine and had no proble between

     that machine and the other two. It was just the Wim. 7 Home premium one.

    Thanks again!!

    RPS

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-04-18T07:54:24+00:00

    Hi David and Belle,

    I'm having the same problem.  I have tried editing the registry using both the Dword and Qword, after trying one, rebooting and having it fail - removing the edit and then using the other and rebooting again - several times. No luck - no Joy - I even tried a few Fwords and DDwords and it still doesn't connect. 

    Actually, that's not quite right.  If I don't have the regedits in there and I bring the system up without a drive mapping, I can map a drive to the server using the \\IP_address\share and it will work.  It will not work with the \\Server_name\Share - but then I don't have a DNS server on the network, but none of the other systems has a problem with naming.  Actually, I have been able to get on the server and install software from it to my clients laptop.  It will work until I reboot. When the system comes up I get  "The system name is in use" message again and nothing I do makes it work. Maybe I could get her to leave her new laptop at the office and never turn it off?

    Then I "Disconnect the drive", remake the connection and it will not work at all for a couple of reboots and then  the same things happens over again.  Just in case someone is interested; We have a small workgroup with a 2003 server.  This is the first Windows 7 system (a Dell Studio 1555, P-Dual-Core T4400 @ 2.2.GHz, 4GB RAM, 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium laptop purchased Thursday), all the other workstations are W2kPro with a couple of XP machines.

    Anyway I'll check in later - though I think I going to give in and recommend that she purchase W7Pro.

    Error Messages - Admin Events:

    WLAN AutoConfig service has successfully stopped.Session "Circular Kernel Context Logger" failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000035

    Possible Memory Leak. Application (C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted) (PID: 1036) has passed a non-NULL pointer to RPC for an [out] parameter marked [allocate(all_nodes)]. [allocate(all_nodes)] parameters are always reallocated; if the original pointer contained the address of valid memory, that memory will be leaked. The call originated on the interface with UUID ({3f31c91e-2545-4b7b-9311-9529e8bffef6}), Method number (20). User Action: Contact your application vendor for an updated version of the application.

    The client was unable to validate the following as active DNS server(s) that can service this client. The server(s) may be temporarily unavailable, or may be incorrectly configured. 192.168.50.218

     Warning 4/18/2010 12:13:51 AM Wininit 11 None

    Warning 4/18/2010 12:12:55 AM WLAN-AutoConfig 4001 None

    Warning 4/18/2010 12:00:56 AM Wininit 11 None

    Warning 4/17/2010 11:59:58 PM WLAN-AutoConfig 4001 None

    Warning 4/17/2010 11:59:53 PM User Profile Service 1530 None

    Warning 4/17/2010 11:41:07 PM Wininit 11 None

    Warning 4/17/2010 11:40:12 PM WLAN-AutoConfig 4001 None

    Warning 4/17/2010 11:40:06 PM User Profile Service 1530 None

    Warning 4/17/2010 10:13:46 PM RPC (Microsoft-Windows-RPC-Events) 11 None

    Warning 4/17/2010 10:12:53 PM Wininit 11 None

    Warning 4/17/2010 10:11:53 PM WLAN-AutoConfig 4001 None

    Warning 4/17/2010 10:11:48 PM User Profile Service 1530 None

    Warning 4/17/2010 10:05:39 PM Wininit 11 None

    Warning 4/17/2010 10:04:39 PM WLAN-AutoConfig 4001 None

    Error 4/17/2010 9:52:00 PM Kernel-EventTracing 2 Session

    Error 4/17/2010 9:51:59 PM Kernel-EventTracing 2 Session

    Error 4/17/2010 9:51:58 PM Kernel-EventTracing 2 Session

    Error 4/17/2010 9:51:57 PM Kernel-EventTracing 2 Session

    Error 4/17/2010 9:51:57 PM Kernel-EventTracing 2 Session

    Error 4/17/2010 9:51:56 PM Kernel-EventTracing 2 Session

    Error 4/17/2010 9:51:55 PM Kernel-EventTracing 2 Session

    Error 4/17/2010 9:51:54 PM Kernel-EventTracing 2 Session

    Error 4/17/2010 9:51:54 PM Kernel-EventTracing 2 Session

    Error 4/17/2010 9:51:53 PM Kernel-EventTracing 2 Session

    Error 4/17/2010 9:51:52 PM Kernel-EventTracing 2 Session

    Error 4/17/2010 9:51:52 PM Kernel-EventTracing 2 Session

    Error 4/17/2010 9:51:51 PM Kernel-EventTracing 2 Session

    Error 4/17/2010 9:51:51 PM Kernel-EventTracing 2 Session

    Error 4/17/2010 9:51:51 PM Kernel-EventTracing 2 Session

    Error 4/17/2010 9:51:50 PM Kernel-EventTracing 2 Session

    Error 4/17/2010 9:51:50 PM Kernel-EventTracing 2 Session

    Error 4/17/2010 9:51:50 PM Kernel-EventTracing 2 Session

    Error 4/17/2010 9:51:50 PM Kernel-EventTracing 2 Session

    Error 4/17/2010 9:51:50 PM Kernel-EventTracing 2 Session

    Warning 4/17/2010 9:51:32 PM User Profile Service 1530 None

    Error 4/17/2010 9:30:00 PM SideBySide 80 None

    Error 4/17/2010 9:30:00 PM SideBySide 80 None

    Warning 4/17/2010 9:24:58 PM RPC (Microsoft-Windows-RPC-Events) 11 None

    Warning 4/17/2010 9:19:52 PM DNS Client Events 1006 None

    Warning 4/17/2010 9:07:37 PM Wininit 11 None

    Warning 4/17/2010 9:06:38 PM WLAN-AutoConfig 4001 None

    Warning 4/17/2010 7:37:34 PM Wininit 11 None

    Warning 4/16/2010 8:43:55 PM WLAN-AutoConfig 4001 None

    Error 4/16/2010 8:25:19 PM SideBySide 80 None

    Error 4/16/2010 8:25:19 PM SideBySide 80 None

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-04-17T07:16:23+00:00

    Well, I made the registry change that you suggested and I still can't see my XP computer.  If I try to ping it it times out.  However, on the XP side I can ping the Windows 7 computer and I get a response.  But, I do not see it in My Network Places.  The Workgroup names are identical, sharing is enabled, etc.  I just don't get it.  Any other ideas?  Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments