Network Share not working through Windows 7 home premium

Anonymous
2009-11-23T11:08:24+00:00

Hello Friends,

I am have an issue with windows 7 home premium, whenever i am trying to connect any other OS like windows serevr 2003/XP from windows 7 home premium then getting a pormpt to put the network credientials, so after entring the same again it's asking seems to be not accepting.

ex: when trying to connect like \Server-A\ABCfolder then getting a prompt but when ever trying RDC is going through , i checked and verified the network sharing setting all seems to be fine.

Here i would like to update that WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM IS ON WORKGROUP AND I AM TRYING TO CONNECT THE MAHCINE WHICH ARE IN DOMAIN.

ANY SUGGESTIONS???

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-24T09:40:33+00:00

Thanks for your replies... The server is stand alone in the same workgroup with the other PCs. Anyway that seems to be a problem of windows 7 home since ultimate and professional edition connect properly to win 2000 share using the same user and password which that I am using with win7 home ed.   I guess that the windows 7 pc does not send the proper authentication info to the remote pc.  

The solution: Registry editing for LAN manager authentication level (in Home edition this can be configured through registry)

How to do it:  

1 . Open registry editor ( Start search - regedit)

2 . Browse to  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa

3.  Create a new DWORD value  with the following properties:   NAME: LmCompatibilityLevel    

                                                                                            VALUE: 1

  1. Restart your PC and try the connection again...

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-04-12T18:28:28+00:00

    Which way  you try to access the shared folder? What message do you get?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-04-12T14:23:28+00:00

    I am still stuck.

    I want to share a folder on Windows Server 2008 R2 to a remote machine running Windows 7 Ultimate. Both machines are members of different workgroups, but have the same User Name (password protected).

    I just can't get it to work.


    Michael J. Hill

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-04-11T16:48:29+00:00

    Thanks for posting the regedit solution.  I tried to do the regedit.  It was my first time so I was a bit hesitant to edit the reg but I didn't do any damage. ;)

    However it did not work.

    I'm running w7 home premium 64 bit.   I uses DWORD (32 bit) value and added that per the instructions. Another choice was QWORD (64 bit) value. 

    Should I have added the QWORD instead of the DWORD ??

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more