Can't find script engine "VBScript" for script.

Anonymous
2010-07-08T20:15:22+00:00

When trying to install Windows Cleanup Utility (msicuu2.exe) this error message appears.  I'm trying to install Java but get the Java Setup error 1723: There is a problem with this windows installer package.  A DLL required for this install to conplete could not be run....

I have Windows Home Premium and it looks like I have the Windows Installer-Unicode Version 5.0.7600.16385 

Any steps to fix would be most appreciated.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-04-17T14:32:14+00:00

    If you have issues reregistering the vbscript.dll like I did, use the below link to follow Qella3's suggestion. This has worked for me on many occasions.

    Thanks!

    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/jscript/thread/b7d1a35f-3759-4217-91ba-e4416ac19d78/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-04-17T14:58:30+00:00

    Do NOT follow those instructions - they will leave the system wide open to attack!

    ..and apart from anything else, subinacl is not compliant with x64 Windows, so may only do half the job anyhow.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-05-26T02:52:16+00:00

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\InprocServer32

    At that key in the right window is there a Value *(Default)*of type REG_SZ with a "Data" of C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\ScriptSn.20121125102220.dll

    I'v uninstalled mcafee,couldn't find the mcafee file in the above specified path.

    couldn't find script engine VBScript 

    couldn't install skype toolbars

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-05-27T01:56:26+00:00

    Hi Mohamed SherinHasina,

    Can you go to the following registry key:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\InprocServer32

    Can you right-click on that registry key and select "Export" and save as a .reg file.

    Then right-click the resulting .reg file and select "Edit".

    Can you then copy and paste the contents of the .reg file to a post in this thread?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-09-27T20:37:48+00:00

    Aha!  My HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\InprocServer32 (Default) had a leftover dll from recently-uninstalled   Avast virus scanner.

    As admin, changed HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\InprocServer32 permissions to allow updating, then replaced the (Default) value with 

    C:\Windows\system32\vbscript.dll

    thank you very much, I was looking for this information since a long time, it works very well now !

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments