Can't find script engine "VBScript" for script.

Anonymous
2010-07-08T20:15:22+00:00

When trying to install Windows Cleanup Utility (msicuu2.exe) this error message appears.  I'm trying to install Java but get the Java Setup error 1723: There is a problem with this windows installer package.  A DLL required for this install to conplete could not be run....

I have Windows Home Premium and it looks like I have the Windows Installer-Unicode Version 5.0.7600.16385 

Any steps to fix would be most appreciated.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-07-12T20:29:34+00:00

    Try re-registering the scrrun.dll:

    Start > type cmd.exe in the "Search programs and files" box, then, under "Programs," right-click cmd.exe > Run as administrator

    Then, at the command prompt, type the following pressing "Enter" after each line:

    cd "%systemroot%\SysWow64"

    regsvr32 scrrun.dll

    Then close cmd.exe and restart the computer.

    The process shows that it succeeded but the same script error is shown when opening msicuu2.exe as the administrator.  I had even tried to open the installer in the Safe Mode but had the same results.  The Windows Installer is shown as Start and Manual in Services.msc, it was Auto but I changed it with the results being the same.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2010-07-13T00:12:28+00:00

    Can you run the system file checker to check for system file corruption - follow Option 1 in the folliwng link:

    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-07-13T17:22:32+00:00

    Can you run the system file checker to check for system file corruption - follow Option 1 in the folliwng link:

    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

    I had run this before on July 9 (message 3) but ran it again and now can't open the CBS.log file-access denied in Wordpad.  I did find the original sfcdetails.txt from July 9, showing the info but not anything from July 13, don't know why as I'm running as the administrator.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2010-07-13T20:57:25+00:00

    Can you run the system file checker to check for system file corruption - follow Option 1 in the folliwng link:

    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

    I had run this before on July 9 (message 3) but ran it again and now can't open the CBS.log file-access denied in Wordpad.  I did find the original sfcdetails.txt from July 9, showing the info but not anything from July 13, don't know why as I'm running as the administrator.

    I finally found the file checker info, hadn't used Notepad for awhile but found and saved the CBS.log file, over 9MB.  I don't understand all that it's telling me and could include a snapshot of today's running of the SFC as a .jpg but don't know if it's possible to do so or is allowed.  Anyway, the windows installer still fails.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments