Can't find script engine "VBScript" for script.

Anonymous
2010-07-08T20:15:22+00:00

When trying to install Windows Cleanup Utility (msicuu2.exe) this error message appears.  I'm trying to install Java but get the Java Setup error 1723: There is a problem with this windows installer package.  A DLL required for this install to conplete could not be run....

I have Windows Home Premium and it looks like I have the Windows Installer-Unicode Version 5.0.7600.16385 

Any steps to fix would be most appreciated.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-02-08T16:14:48+00:00

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\InprocServer32

    At that key in the right window is there a Value *(Default)*of type REG_SZ with a "Data" of C:\Windows\system32\vbscript.dll

    When I go to the above location the value shows: C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\ScriptSn.20170201163536.dll and it won't let me change it to C:\Windows\system32\vbscript.dll

    I get an error: "Cannot edit: Error writing the value's new contents."

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-02-08T16:26:55+00:00

    Try restarting the computer in Safe Mode and then try again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-02-09T08:28:59+00:00

    You obviously have/had McAfee Anti-Virus installed.

    If you've uninstalled McAfee then you need to run the McAfee removal tool to correct a number of resulting problems

    Download the McAfee removal tool from:

    http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust\_support\_patches/MCPR.exe

    Click Save, and save the file to a folder on your computer.

    Navigate to the folder where you saved the file.

    right-click on MCPR.exe and select 'Run as Administrator'  to run the removal tool.

    when complete, reboot - then check the registry again.

    If McAfee is still installed, this is 'expected behaviour'

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments