Can't find script engine "VBScript" for script.

Anonymous
2010-07-08T20:15:22+00:00

When trying to install Windows Cleanup Utility (msicuu2.exe) this error message appears.  I'm trying to install Java but get the Java Setup error 1723: There is a problem with this windows installer package.  A DLL required for this install to conplete could not be run....

I have Windows Home Premium and it looks like I have the Windows Installer-Unicode Version 5.0.7600.16385 

Any steps to fix would be most appreciated.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-07-12T00:26:40+00:00

    Can you check the following registry key?:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}

    At that key in the right window is there a Value (Default) of type REG_SZ with a "Data" of VB Script Language

    Also check the following registry key:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\InprocServer32

    At that key in the right window is there a Value (Default) of type REG_SZ with a "Data" of C:\Windows\system32\vbscript.dll

    Was this answer helpful?

    70+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-07-11T22:27:21+00:00

    Since you are running 64-bit, re-register the scripting files this way:

    Start > type cmd.exe in the "Search programs and files" box, then, under "Programs," right-click cmd.exe > Run as administrator

    Then, at the command prompt, type the following pressing "Enter" after each line:

    cd "%systemroot%\SysWow64"

    regsvr32 jscript.dll

    regsvr32 vbscript.dll

    Then close cmd.exe and restart the computer.

     

     

    I did both steps and received the same positive answer that the DLLRegisterServer succeeded and I still get the error message after re-booting.

    It looks like MS no longer offers the Windows Cleanup Utility according to the link below, it tells you to contact your software maker if you have a problem that's not related to an MS Office product.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

    Another weird thing I discovered was that I do not have the program in my Program folder as I do in my Win 7 laptop.  I can follow the laptop folder-file connection all the way and the program is there, just not in my desktop.  Perhaps I don't need it but the Java error 1723 insists that I do, will probalby have to research Java more to see if they have a fix as I can't update to the newest Java version and it's needed for at leasst one of my other programs (Limewire) that I know of.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-07-11T19:28:15+00:00

    Since you are running 64-bit, re-register the scripting files this way:

    Start > type cmd.exe in the "Search programs and files" box, then, under "Programs," right-click cmd.exe > Run as administrator

    Then, at the command prompt, type the following pressing "Enter" after each line:

    cd "%systemroot%\SysWow64"

    regsvr32 jscript.dll

    regsvr32 vbscript.dll

    Then close cmd.exe and restart the computer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-07-11T17:16:31+00:00

    Are you running 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows 7?

    Also, do you have McAfee installed as McAfee has been known to cause similar issues as reported in the following thread:

    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7programs/thread/1a4499ae-8bc1-4534-9c6f-4d399ac70d9a

     

     

     

    I'm running 64-bit and using both the 32-bit & 64-bit IE, mostly the 32-bit as I know there are separate downloads from Java to use on both IE"s.

    I'm using Norton 2010 Internet Security and have tried running the Windows installer with Norton disabled and enabled with no difference in the script error.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2010-07-10T17:53:20+00:00

    Are you running 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows 7?

    Also, do you have McAfee installed as McAfee has been known to cause similar issues as reported in the following thread:

    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7programs/thread/1a4499ae-8bc1-4534-9c6f-4d399ac70d9a

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments