Can't find script engine "VBScript" for script.

Anonymous
2010-07-08T20:15:22+00:00

When trying to install Windows Cleanup Utility (msicuu2.exe) this error message appears.  I'm trying to install Java but get the Java Setup error 1723: There is a problem with this windows installer package.  A DLL required for this install to conplete could not be run....

I have Windows Home Premium and it looks like I have the Windows Installer-Unicode Version 5.0.7600.16385 

Any steps to fix would be most appreciated.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-05-26T02:52:16+00:00

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\InprocServer32

    At that key in the right window is there a Value *(Default)*of type REG_SZ with a "Data" of C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\ScriptSn.20121125102220.dll

    I'v uninstalled mcafee,couldn't find the mcafee file in the above specified path.

    couldn't find script engine VBScript 

    couldn't install skype toolbars

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-04-17T14:58:30+00:00

    Do NOT follow those instructions - they will leave the system wide open to attack!

    ..and apart from anything else, subinacl is not compliant with x64 Windows, so may only do half the job anyhow.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-04-17T14:32:14+00:00

    If you have issues reregistering the vbscript.dll like I did, use the below link to follow Qella3's suggestion. This has worked for me on many occasions.

    Thanks!

    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/jscript/thread/b7d1a35f-3759-4217-91ba-e4416ac19d78/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-01-19T19:30:07+00:00

    Running McAfee's MCPR usually corrects this and other dross that their uninstaller leaves behind....

    http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-01-18T23:00:26+00:00

    Aha!  My HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\InprocServer32 (Default) had a leftover dll from recently-uninstalled   Avast virus scanner.

    As admin, changed HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\InprocServer32 permissions to allow updating, then replaced the (Default) value with 

    C:\Windows\system32\vbscript.dll

    I had the same problem, and I had uninstalled McAfee before. Taking ownership of

     HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}

    and then changing the  InprocServer32 value to point to C:\Windows\Systerm32\vbscript.dll fixed the problem.

    Note this was on a brand new Dell notebook computer that came with a 30-day version of McAfee installed. I have even more reason to hate McAfee now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments