Can't find script engine "VBScript" for script.

Anonymous
2010-07-08T20:15:22+00:00

When trying to install Windows Cleanup Utility (msicuu2.exe) this error message appears.  I'm trying to install Java but get the Java Setup error 1723: There is a problem with this windows installer package.  A DLL required for this install to conplete could not be run....

I have Windows Home Premium and it looks like I have the Windows Installer-Unicode Version 5.0.7600.16385 

Any steps to fix would be most appreciated.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-09-23T06:06:11+00:00

    If McAfee is involved at all, then usually simply running the McAfee MCPR tool will clear the problem completely.

    Download the McAfee removal tool from:

    http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust\_support\_patches/MCPR.exe

    Click Save, and save the file to a folder on your computer.

    Navigate to the folder where you saved the file.

    right-click on MCPR.exe and select 'Run as Administrator'  to run the removal tool.

    when complete, reboot.

    A lot simpler and less dangerous than messing in the registry! ;)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-09-23T03:47:41+00:00

    I've also been having this problem and was grateful for the advice on this thread, particularly auggy's post. McAfee was the culprit for me also. A few posters mentioned that they needed to set permissions on this key before they could edit it, it was the same for me. In addition, I had a unique issue not covered in the thread, where a 32-bit app (on a 64-bit os) was trying to run a vb-script and it needed an extra key tweak for this this to work.

    So thought I'd summarise an explicit list of steps that encompasses everything I garnered from this thread, in addition to my extra hurdles. I'm not sure if base64 encoded screenshots will work here, but I've tried to add them in too...

    1. Open regedit as administrator
    2. Browse to the following key:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\InprocServer32 3. Right-click this key and select "Permissions..."

    4. Select the "Administrators" group and click the check-box for Allow "Full Control"

    5. Edit the "(Default)" key's value and change it:

    FROM: C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\ScriptSn.20140819031109.dll

    TO: C:\Windows\system32\vbscript.dll 6. Now browse to the following key for 32-bit apps:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\InprocServer32 7. Right-click this key and select "Permissions..." 8. Select the "Administrators" group and click the check-box for Allow "Full Control" 9. Edit the "(Default)" key's value and change it:

    FROM: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\ScriptSn.20140819031109.dll

    TO: C:\Windows\system32\vbscript.dll

    Now vb-scripts will run fine, whether triggered from a 64-bit or 32-bit process...

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-03-25T03:04:02+00:00

    My Dell also had McAfee in the mentioned registry key. McAfee has a user uninstall utility that will remove and restore the registry keys. It worked for me....if you trust McAfee.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-09-27T20:37:48+00:00

    Aha!  My HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\InprocServer32 (Default) had a leftover dll from recently-uninstalled   Avast virus scanner.

    As admin, changed HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\InprocServer32 permissions to allow updating, then replaced the (Default) value with 

    C:\Windows\system32\vbscript.dll

    thank you very much, I was looking for this information since a long time, it works very well now !

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-05-27T01:56:26+00:00

    Hi Mohamed SherinHasina,

    Can you go to the following registry key:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\InprocServer32

    Can you right-click on that registry key and select "Export" and save as a .reg file.

    Then right-click the resulting .reg file and select "Edit".

    Can you then copy and paste the contents of the .reg file to a post in this thread?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments