Can't find script engine "VBScript" for script.

Anonymous
2010-07-08T20:15:22+00:00

When trying to install Windows Cleanup Utility (msicuu2.exe) this error message appears.  I'm trying to install Java but get the Java Setup error 1723: There is a problem with this windows installer package.  A DLL required for this install to conplete could not be run....

I have Windows Home Premium and it looks like I have the Windows Installer-Unicode Version 5.0.7600.16385 

Any steps to fix would be most appreciated.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-11-12T07:32:17+00:00

    Hi

    Thanks to all contributions.

    I had just downgraded from Avast (paid) to Avast (Free) and my VB scripts no longer worked.

    Working through this thread solved the problem - a dirty key left over from the original Avast application at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\InprocServer32.

    Updating the (Default) key to "C:\Windows\system32\vbscript.dll" solved the issue.

    Many Thanks

    Chas

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-10-10T14:52:46+00:00

    CScript Error- Can't find script engine VBScript -alternate solution   should help.

    If not, please give the EXACT error messages you get when attempting the fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-10-10T13:30:39+00:00

    i just said i did all of that and in did not work what else can i do

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-10-10T13:28:16+00:00

    i have tryed all the things you have on here and not a thing work i keep geting thing can,t find script engin   help i am lost

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2012-09-12T14:27:40+00:00

    Thank you!  The 2nd one on that list was not set right.  I think there was something there relating to McAfee.  Changing this value fixed my problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments