Windows 7 Ultimate x64 - Installed memory 4GB (3GB usable)

Anonymous
2009-11-05T13:43:36+00:00

I have installed Windows 7 Ultimate x64. In System Properties, Windows tells me I have 4Gb RAM but only 3Gb is usable, displayed in the following format:

Installed memory (RAM): 4.00 GB (3.00 GB usable)

Previous to this installation, I had Vista Ultimate x64 installed and that always showed 4GB and all of it was usuable. What is it about Windows 7 that has changed this? If this is indeed a problem caused by BIOS settings, I have not altered them in any way so does this mean that Windows 7 changes the BIOS settings at the point of install?

I do not believe this to be related to some memory being allocated to my Graphics Card, it already has 512MB of dedicated memory. Why would Windows 7 assign it another 1GB of RAM, giving me a total of 1.5GB graphics memory? As I said, this was NEVER a problem on Vista Ultimate x64.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-16T03:11:56+00:00

Hello AshK86,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Answers Forums.

Can you list what model motherboard, processor and graphics card you are using?  The “Hardware or BIOS reserved” is pointing towards the type of motherboard you have.  I know you said you didn’t see this with Vista, but let’s make sure we rule it out just in case.

Regards,


Edgar

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-01-26T20:45:43+00:00

    Hi,

    which mainboard do you have? Does the chipset support >4GB of RAM?

    André


    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-01-26T15:36:25+00:00

    You need re-map your extra cash so you can buy a new mobo. Fortunately, all my productive stuff is done on a Mac. But the via chip set appears to be the problem in my case. Bios updates ceased in 2007 for my ECS board.

    Unless you have the switch in the BIOS like I dont...your stuck with it or buy a new mobo.

    You have to remember, companies make lots of $$$ selling new hardware when OS's come out. There is no incentive for them to develop a legacy friendly product.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-01-26T08:49:01+00:00

    Thank you, but there is no remapping option in my bios.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-01-23T19:24:18+00:00

    Just wanted to chime in that I had the exact same problem, and turning on the Remapping feature in BIOS worked for me. Thanks! ^_^

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments