Windows 7 Ultimate x64 - Installed memory 4GB (3GB usable)

Anonymous
2009-11-05T13:43:36+00:00

I have installed Windows 7 Ultimate x64. In System Properties, Windows tells me I have 4Gb RAM but only 3Gb is usable, displayed in the following format:

Installed memory (RAM): 4.00 GB (3.00 GB usable)

Previous to this installation, I had Vista Ultimate x64 installed and that always showed 4GB and all of it was usuable. What is it about Windows 7 that has changed this? If this is indeed a problem caused by BIOS settings, I have not altered them in any way so does this mean that Windows 7 changes the BIOS settings at the point of install?

I do not believe this to be related to some memory being allocated to my Graphics Card, it already has 512MB of dedicated memory. Why would Windows 7 assign it another 1GB of RAM, giving me a total of 1.5GB graphics memory? As I said, this was NEVER a problem on Vista Ultimate x64.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-16T03:11:56+00:00

Hello AshK86,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Answers Forums.

Can you list what model motherboard, processor and graphics card you are using?  The “Hardware or BIOS reserved” is pointing towards the type of motherboard you have.  I know you said you didn’t see this with Vista, but let’s make sure we rule it out just in case.

Regards,


Edgar

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-02-15T19:16:58+00:00

    I had 2GB of Kingston DDR2 ram in my computer.  I went ahead and ordered 2 2GB sticks of G.Skill Memory.  When i put the 4GB of g.skill in my computer along with my 2gb of Kingston that was already there the properties in my Win 7 Ultimate said i have 6GB of ram and only 3GB are usable.  After messing around with it for a little bit i found that the different brand modules are not compatible so i pulled the old 2GIGs of kingston out and just left the 4GB of G.Skill.  Now the Win7 properties display 4GB

    • all of them used and everything is fast..... so make sure you are using the same Memory modules and a 64 Bit OS and you should be good to go.  Hope this helps!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-02-10T03:50:35+00:00

    Hey guys, similar issue hopefully someone can help! Here are the details:

    So I have installed x64 W7 with 4gb RAM. Of this, my system is telling me that only 2.99 is usable. Here are the stats from msinfo32:

    Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    4.00 GB

    Total Physical Memory    2.99 GB

    Available Physical Memory    1.70 GB

    I have updated my BIOS to the latest version and also attempted the msconfig, boot, advanced fix and neither has worked. So what gives? Why can't I use the other gig of RAM I have installed? I understand my chipset (Intel 945) is integrated so it is natural for it to pull operating memory, but not a whole gig! I can't see where I can remap in BIOS to have it use less than this. How do I proceed? I want to ave use of the remaining gig of memory.

    The laptop is a Gateway M-255e. Please help!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-10-30T13:26:16+00:00

    Enabling memory remap feature did the trick for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more