Windows 7 Ultimate x64 - Installed memory 4GB (3GB usable)

Anonymous
2009-11-05T13:43:36+00:00

I have installed Windows 7 Ultimate x64. In System Properties, Windows tells me I have 4Gb RAM but only 3Gb is usable, displayed in the following format:

Installed memory (RAM): 4.00 GB (3.00 GB usable)

Previous to this installation, I had Vista Ultimate x64 installed and that always showed 4GB and all of it was usuable. What is it about Windows 7 that has changed this? If this is indeed a problem caused by BIOS settings, I have not altered them in any way so does this mean that Windows 7 changes the BIOS settings at the point of install?

I do not believe this to be related to some memory being allocated to my Graphics Card, it already has 512MB of dedicated memory. Why would Windows 7 assign it another 1GB of RAM, giving me a total of 1.5GB graphics memory? As I said, this was NEVER a problem on Vista Ultimate x64.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-16T03:11:56+00:00

Hello AshK86,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Answers Forums.

Can you list what model motherboard, processor and graphics card you are using?  The “Hardware or BIOS reserved” is pointing towards the type of motherboard you have.  I know you said you didn’t see this with Vista, but let’s make sure we rule it out just in case.

Regards,


Edgar

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2009-12-21T19:47:43+00:00

    Dave, try selecting "use max mem" and reboot then unselect "use max mem" and reboot... see if that works

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2009-12-21T15:36:01+00:00

    Have Dave,

    which Mainbaord do you have? Which chipset does it have? Did you enable the Memory Remapping fetaure inside the BIOS?

    André


    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2009-12-21T15:06:57+00:00

    Doesn't work for me. I've got both boxes unchecked, and it still says "4.00GB (3.00 GB usable)

    I have a Compaq 6910p notebook and Windows Ultimate 64bit. (PC Info below)

    OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

    Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600

    Other OS Description Not Available

    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

    System Name hidden by me

    System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard

    System Model HP Compaq 6910p

    System Type x64-based PC

    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T7300  @ 2.00GHz, 2001 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

    BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard 68MCD Ver. F.0A, 9/13/2007

    SMBIOS Version 2.4

    Windows Directory C:\Windows

    System Directory C:\Windows\system32

    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

    Locale United States

    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"

    User Name hiddenbyme

    Time Zone Eastern Standard Time

    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB

    Total Physical Memory 3.00 GB

    Available Physical Memory 1.42 GB

    Total Virtual Memory 6.00 GB

    Available Virtual Memory 3.63 GB

    Page File Space 3.00 GB

    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

    I would love to have an answer to this.

    Dave


    DaveC

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2009-12-14T19:43:57+00:00

    I too am having the same problem. Windows Ultimate x64 RTM

    << Display Details >>>

    Name    NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT

    PNP Device ID    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0393&SUBSYS_0393196E&REV_A1\4&2921F064&0&0010

    Adapter Type    GeForce 7300 GT, NVIDIA compatible

    Adapter Description    NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT

    Adapter RAM    256.00 MB (268,435,456 bytes)

    Installed Drivers    nvd3dumx.dll,nvd3dum

    Driver Version    8.17.11.9562

    INF File    oem21.inf (Section001 section)

    Color Planes    Not Available

    Color Table Entries    4294967296

    Resolution    1680 x 1050 x 59 hertz

    Bits/Pixel    32

    Memory Address    0xFD000000-0xFDFFFFFF

    Memory Address    0xC0000000-0xFF77FFFF

    Memory Address    0xFC000000-0xFCFFFFFF

    I/O Port    0x0000BC00-0x0000BC7F

    IRQ Channel    IRQ 24

    I/O Port    0x000003B0-0x000003BB

    I/O Port    0x000003C0-0x000003DF

    Memory Address    0xA0000-0xBFFFF

    Driver    c:\windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys (8.17.11.9562, 13.06 MB (13,694,056 bytes), 11/28/2009 6:41 PM)

    <<< Conflicts/Sharing >>>

    I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7    PCI bus

    I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7    Direct memory access controller

    I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF    NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT

    I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF    VIA PCI to PCI Bridge Controller

    IRQ 21    VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller

    IRQ 21    VIA Serial ATA Controller - 0591

    IRQ 21    VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller

    IRQ 23    VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller

    IRQ 23    VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter

    Memory Address 0xC0000000-0xFF77FFFF    PCI bus

    Memory Address 0xC0000000-0xFF77FFFF    NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT

    Memory Address 0xC0000000-0xFF77FFFF    VIA PCI to PCI Bridge Controller

    Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF    PCI bus

    Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF    NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT

    Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF    VIA PCI to PCI Bridge Controller

    I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB    NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT

    I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB    VIA PCI to PCI Bridge Controller

    << mother board >>

    ECS PT890T-A

    Chipset VIA P4M890  V1.0

    Southbridge - VIA VT8237A

    LPCIO - ITE IT8718

    American Megatrends Inc. BIOS (have the latest update)

    Version 080013

    12/19/2007

    Intel Core 2 Duo E6320

    Conroe

    Socket 775 LGA

    6320 @ 1.86 GHZ

    Technology 65 nm

    L1 Data 2 x 32 KBytes 8-way

    L2 Data 2 x 32 KBytes 8-way

    Level 2 4096 Kbytes 16-way

     **Using CPU-Z info tool Memory is read as DDR2 Single Channel

    Size 4096 MBytes

    I would like to also get some resolve to this. This was one of the main reasons I upgraded to Windows 7 x64

    Any help would be appreciated. I can email the full TXT CPU-Z report if needed. I believe this is definately Windows issue as my BIOS and CPU-Z both report a full 4096 MBytes of Memory.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments