How do I "renew your IP address" to repair my wireless network connection?

Anonymous
2010-02-06T23:31:28+00:00

This is what the pop up window said----- "windows could not finish repairing the problem because the folowing action cannot be completed - RENEWING your IP ADDRESS" 

Can someone help me to renew my IP so my wireless will work again on a long time laptop.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-07T11:32:23+00:00

To renew your IP address:

  1. Open windows command prompt  Start\ Run\cmd\ok2. To release your Ip address ipconfig/releaseEnter3. To renew your IP address ipconfig/renewEnterExitBest of Luck

Sohail Khan

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-07-30T07:20:10+00:00

    I am having the very same problems!

    I have two D-Link DIR-825 routers and a D-Link DWA-160 adapter and I can now no longer connect to either router with either the D-Link DWA-160 or my computer's internal wireless radio.  I have several other computers that all connect to these same routers running Win Vista-64 and Win-7 with no issues at all, but my XP and my friend's XP machines will no longer connect. 

    The wireless connection reports that the IP address is 0.0.0.0 and the subnet mask is also 0.0.0.0

    I try to repair the connection and that doesn't fix the problem.  I've tried the IP release and reset in the command prompt and that doens't fix the problem either.

    I think one of the latest windows updates has screwed around with the communications of the wireless, probably to try and track our usage, and is now having issues with the IP address seemengly locking up.

    Resetting the router and updating drivers has not fixed the issue.

    Microsoft needs to come up with a fix for this quickly!

    If anyone has a solution, please reply to this post so that I'll get an email notification of your message.

    I'm dead in the water once again and can't seem to find a fix here on Microsoft's support web site.  I need my computer to be up and running on the wireless connection so I need this fix badly!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-09-01T18:48:00+00:00

    I am having the same problem with the same error codes and bad settings.I also have tried every re boot, etc. any one has mentioned. No luck. I have a dlink dir-615-sw It has worked fine until I started the laptop on 8/31/2010 and this problem came up and no wireless inet connection.

    Please, Mr. Windows, give us some help here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-07-16T19:27:49+00:00

    I dun care if people think bumping old forums is stupid. If they need it, they need it. BAH.

    I found a way for a windows 7 user to release and to renew their IP address. You see, windows 7 has two IP versions. IPv4 and IPv6. the people who have been telling you to type "run, cmd, and type in ipconfig/release or ipconfig/renew" are right, but at the same time wrong. Don't forget you have to connect yourself to the connection you are trying to connect to, or it will not work.

    while typing in "ipconfig/release" or "ipconfig/renew" you must put a space between the ipconfig and the backslash [the / symbol] Ex: "ipconfig /release" or "ipconfig /renew". As you can see, these help the IPv4 protocol. If the cammand prompt says no operation was done then you need to do the IPv6 to renew your ip address. You can close out and retry doing the bottom instructions.

    Now to release/renew the IPv6 protocol, you must type, "ipconfig /release6" and/or "ipconfig /renew6". Remember adding space between the ipconfig and the backslash!

    After you finished those, close out and restart the computer. It should work by then. If it doesn't, then i can't help. XD

    How did I get this information?

    It actually helped me when I was at Barnes and Nobles. I have Windows 7 and the connection didn't notice my IP address so i checked up online to see if anyone had the same problem. Obviously, none of it seemed to help, so i experimented. A ton. XD That was when I found instructions while experimenting. hehe, so the command prompt helped alot. At first, I thought it wasn't going to work, and it didn't work cause i did not restart my computer. Once I restarted it, it began working. So I hopes it helps you and the people who are going to read this in the future. hehehehehe. XDDDDDD if it doesn't then i don't know what the problem to your connection is... well, for Windows 7 users anyways.....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-11-22T20:48:47+00:00

    I tried to reset my ip address but everytime I do that ipconfig /renew, it doesn't work.  Is states that- "no operation can be performed on Local Are Connection while it has its media disconnected.

     An error occured while renewing interface Wireless network Connection : The RPC server is unavailable."

         I went on another website to see if i can fix the RPC connection and it said-      "In Windows XP or Vista, verify that DCOM Tunneling has already been enabled and is not being blocked (see Fix Error 462 article). Then go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > select Services > click the Standard tab (at bottom of screen) > double-click on Remote Procedure Call > Change the Startup Type to Automatic > Click Start under Service Status > click OK > confirm that the "Status" for Remote Procedure Call now displays Started."   i tried this and it still says there's no connection. 

       I checked the wireless network connection and its says i'm connected but the stus is limited or no connectivity.  I dont know what else to do and I NEED HELP!  I tried going on the internet but it says problem loading page over and over again.  I just want to use my laptop again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments