How do I "renew your IP address" to repair my wireless network connection?

Anonymous
2010-02-06T23:31:28+00:00

This is what the pop up window said----- "windows could not finish repairing the problem because the folowing action cannot be completed - RENEWING your IP ADDRESS" 

Can someone help me to renew my IP so my wireless will work again on a long time laptop.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-07T11:32:23+00:00

To renew your IP address:

  1. Open windows command prompt  Start\ Run\cmd\ok2. To release your Ip address ipconfig/releaseEnter3. To renew your IP address ipconfig/renewEnterExitBest of Luck

Sohail Khan

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-04T16:10:25+00:00

    OK here's what I've got

    From the desk top XP (call it XP1) which connected well for 1 day and now doesn't

    This network has limited or no connectivity.You might not be able to access the internet or some network resources. Click this message for more information

    DETAILS for XP1

    Physical address 00-30-05-8A-5B-C3

    IP address 169-254-115-148

    Subnet mask 255.255.0.0

    Default gateway

    DNS server

    WINS server

    From the working XP laptop in the next room (call it XP2) and also using a powerline range extender from BT, same type - good connection, working well, using it for thi

    DETAILS for XP2

    Address type assigned by DCHP

    IP address 192.168.1.72

    Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

    Default gateway 192.168.1.254

    DNS server 192.168.1.254

    DHCP server 192.168.1.254

    Hope that may mean something to you, it doesn't to me except I can see they are different, and it may be something to do with DHCP perhaps

    Thank you, I'll keep taking the "calm me down" pills

    Mike

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-12-04T15:34:56+00:00

    Mike dont get frustrate

    just relax if you get frustrated we get confused

    Microsoft needs exact error message,helps us serve you better

    anyway for time being,

    try release ip from router and use mac binding if possible or static ip just to confirm whether it works or not

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-12-04T09:32:38+00:00

    Latest update - have looked at DHCP as suggested above on 2 sept 2013 by sohail a khan

    "If not fixed try

    3 . Start>Run>Type "services.msc" Enter......Find in   DHCP Client (restart and make it automatic start if not)"

    Tried this and checked DHCP as suggested; all seems to be fine BUT still no connection being made - very frustrating

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-12-04T08:55:56+00:00

    I am also in the middle of this frustration

    I have a BT v4 router; one XP desktop is connected via ethernet and works fine. I connected a second XP desktop in a different part of the house using powerline adaptors - worked really well and fast for 1 day...............now won't connect and I get all the messages just like others re "IP address"..............I have rebooted PCs, router and adaptors.............I plugged in another adaptor (same manufacturer) in a different room and it works fine with an XP laptop............the wireless signal from the router is good but doesn't reach my office, where the "failing to connect" XP desktop is located.......have tried the ipconfig/release sequence but with no effect

    Any suggestions please?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments