How do I "renew your IP address" to repair my wireless network connection?

Anonymous
2010-02-06T23:31:28+00:00

This is what the pop up window said----- "windows could not finish repairing the problem because the folowing action cannot be completed - RENEWING your IP ADDRESS" 

Can someone help me to renew my IP so my wireless will work again on a long time laptop.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-07T11:32:23+00:00

To renew your IP address:

  1. Open windows command prompt  Start\ Run\cmd\ok2. To release your Ip address ipconfig/releaseEnter3. To renew your IP address ipconfig/renewEnterExitBest of Luck

Sohail Khan

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-02-09T20:38:04+00:00

    I have tried both releasing the IP  and refreshing the  IP.  I have rebooted the router and the cable modem several times and that makes no difference.

    When I ran ipconfig/release I got the following:

    Ethernet adapter Wireless Netowrk Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

    Default Gateway . . . . . . . :

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

    Default Gateway . . . . . . . :

    When I ran ipconfig/renew I got the following:

    Windows IP Configuration

    An error occurred while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server.  Request has timed out.

    An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server.  Request has timed out.

    I don't know what to do next.  If I piggy back off of my neighbor's wireless, my Asus Eee PC netbook can connect to the internet just fine; but if I try to connect to my own wireless network, even though the two other computers in my home (one wireless  that uses Vista and one wired that uses Windows 7 are connected successfully to it, I get the following error message:

    This connection has limited or no connectivity.  You might not be able to access the Internet or some network resources.  For more information, click this message.

    When I click it, I get the Local Area Connection Status window.  I click the Support  tab and click on the "Details" button and get the following:

    Physical Address       90-E6-BA-A8-8B-13

    IP Address               169.254.111.158

    Subnet Mask            255.255.0.0

    Default Gateway

    DNS Server

    WINS Server

    I'm very frustrated by this and really would appreciate additional advice on how to resolve this.  Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-02-07T09:12:03+00:00

    To renew your IP address:

    1. Open a command prompt window (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt ).
    2. Type this command, then press Enter :

         ipconfig /renew

    If that doesn't succeed, I recommend rebooting your wireless router by disconnecting it from the electrical power for a few seconds and then connecting it.


    Boulder Computer Maven

    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments