To renew your IP address:
- Open windows command prompt Start\ Run\cmd\ok2. To release your Ip address ipconfig/releaseEnter3. To renew your IP address ipconfig/renewEnterExitBest of Luck
Sohail Khan
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
This is what the pop up window said----- "windows could not finish repairing the problem because the folowing action cannot be completed - RENEWING your IP ADDRESS"
Can someone help me to renew my IP so my wireless will work again on a long time laptop.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
To renew your IP address:
Sohail Khan
I have tried both releasing the IP and refreshing the IP. I have rebooted the router and the cable modem several times and that makes no difference.
When I ran ipconfig/release I got the following:
Ethernet adapter Wireless Netowrk Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . :
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . :
When I ran ipconfig/renew I got the following:
Windows IP Configuration
An error occurred while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.
An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.
I don't know what to do next. If I piggy back off of my neighbor's wireless, my Asus Eee PC netbook can connect to the internet just fine; but if I try to connect to my own wireless network, even though the two other computers in my home (one wireless that uses Vista and one wired that uses Windows 7 are connected successfully to it, I get the following error message:
This connection has limited or no connectivity. You might not be able to access the Internet or some network resources. For more information, click this message.
When I click it, I get the Local Area Connection Status window. I click the Support tab and click on the "Details" button and get the following:
Physical Address 90-E6-BA-A8-8B-13
IP Address 169.254.111.158
Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway
DNS Server
WINS Server
I'm very frustrated by this and really would appreciate additional advice on how to resolve this. Thank you.
To renew your IP address:
ipconfig /renew
If that doesn't succeed, I recommend rebooting your wireless router by disconnecting it from the electrical power for a few seconds and then connecting it.