How do I "renew your IP address" to repair my wireless network connection?

Anonymous
2010-02-06T23:31:28+00:00

This is what the pop up window said----- "windows could not finish repairing the problem because the folowing action cannot be completed - RENEWING your IP ADDRESS" 

Can someone help me to renew my IP so my wireless will work again on a long time laptop.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-07T11:32:23+00:00

To renew your IP address:

  1. Open windows command prompt  Start\ Run\cmd\ok2. To release your Ip address ipconfig/releaseEnter3. To renew your IP address ipconfig/renewEnterExitBest of Luck

Sohail Khan

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-02-11T15:53:28+00:00

    Does your router have a setup disk?

    I've had similar problems in the past and running/reinstalling router setup can sometimes do the trick when all else fails.

    Does your router have ports to try a wired connection to see and or eliminate the possibility of hardware faults?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-02-11T03:52:26+00:00

    Setup your IP address manually

    or

    check your router has DHCP enabled for local area connections


    Sohail Khan

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-02-11T01:27:52+00:00

    I had the same problem on my wireless PC ( window XP), tried everything mentioned in the earlier dates, Initially was intermittant and now no connection. I contacted the DSL company, two different wireless adapter companies with no eval. I suspect the problem started when I upgraded SP2 and got worse with SP3 although my main computer which is hard wired to the router has no problems nor does the laptop. I need guidance in unistalling both packs w/o restoring the system.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-02-10T00:56:57+00:00

    Does your computer show that it's connected to your wireless network?  If it can't connect, it can't get an IP address.

    Have you enabled MAC address filtering in your wireless router?  If so, add your computer's wireless MAC address to the approved list.

    Have you tried my suggestion to reboot your wireless router by disconnecting it from the electrical power for a few seconds and then connecting it?


    Boulder Computer Maven

    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments