How do I get Outlook 2007 to read .eml files and attachments?

Anonymous
2010-03-11T22:35:16+00:00

I am a web developer working from home.  A lot of my clients talk to me via chat programs like Yahoo Messenger and Skype.  Often times, they send mail messages from a end-users to me over yahoo or skype that are .eml files.  These files describe bugs or other errors that end-users experienced.

I can't understand why I can't read "eml" files in Outlook 2007.  Right now, windows 2007 wants to use windows live mail to open these files.

Is there a third-party add-on that will give Outlook 2007 this functionality?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-03-12T01:11:33+00:00

I solved the problem for Windows 7 64 bit users and Vista 64 bit users

  1. Open up regedit.exe (The windows registry editor)
  2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Microsoft Internet Mail Message WLMail\shell\open\command
  3. Change "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Mail\wlmail.exe" /eml:%1 to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\OUTLOOK.EXE" /eml "%1"   (do not forget the double quotes!)
  4. Restart your computer

This way, windows thinks that "Windows Live Mail" is still the default program for opening .eml files.  However, we changed the registry so that instead of opening Windows Live Mail, we are opening OUTLOOK.EXE.  What I mean is that if you opened the control panel, clicked on Default Programs and associated .eml files with Windows Live Mail, we've tricked out the registry so that it will open outlook instead--even though Windows still says it is associated with Windows Live.  Confusing, I know.

The best analogy are those old commercials where "We've secretly changed Lisa's favorite detergent with new all temperature Cheer!"  In this case we secretly changed Windows Live Mail with Outlook when it comes to opening .eml attachments.

Anyhow, this trick worked for me.  I can open .eml files just by double-clicking on them.  You can always change things back if you decide to switch to Windows Live.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-04-20T17:32:44+00:00

    I had 64bit windows 7 enterprise installed and this trick worked great! only someone reinstalled the os and now the computer has 32bit windows 7 home installed and the same trick doesn't work!

    does anyone know if this reg-hack only works for 64bit?

    thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-10-12T12:10:13+00:00

    You can use File | Import | Messages to import the eml files from WLM to Outlook or in WLM use File | Export to export them to Outlook.

    steve

    <ccardillo> wrote in message news:*** Email address is removed for privacy ***...

    I followed your first steps - but do not get an eml_auto_file when i check the registry.  Is this because I have Windows Live installed and it appears as the default?  This is all above my pay grade - but managed to convert all my .dbx files to .eml by importing them into windows live mail, and I then exported them to Office, but they stayed .eml, and I can neither see or access them in Office, only through the computer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-10-11T14:39:07+00:00

    I followed your first steps - but do not get an eml_auto_file when i check the registry.  Is this because I have Windows Live installed and it appears as the default?  This is all above my pay grade - but managed to convert all my .dbx files to .eml by importing them into windows live mail, and I then exported them to Office, but they stayed .eml, and I can neither see or access them in Office, only through the computer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Diane Poremsky MVP 17,621 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2010-09-27T05:33:00+00:00

    You need to create the key if you don't have it.


    Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

    Outlook Tips http://www.outlook-tips.net/

    Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center http://www.slipstick.com

    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter or Outlook Daily Tips

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments