Blue Screen BCCode 116

Anonymous
2010-01-04T01:42:05+00:00

Brand new ASUS twice now I have gotten the dreaded Blue Screen after starting my PC from Hibernate. Once I select start windows in normal mode it works fine. If I shut down totally and re-start it starts up fine no blue screen. Any ideas ??

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode: 116

BCP1: FFFFFA80094D44E0

BCP2: FFFFF88010174230

BCP3: 0000000000000000

BCP4: 0000000000000002

OS Version: 6_1_7600

Service Pack: 0_0

Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:

C:\Windows\Minidump\010310-22120-01.dmp

C:\Users\Jill\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-51620-0.sysdata.xml

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-04T23:06:26+00:00

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft answers.

 I would suggest you to update the drivers for your graphis card, here are the steps:

1.      Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type Update, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Update.

2.      In the left pane, click Check for updates, and then wait while Windows looks for the latest updates for your computer.

3.      If there are any available updates, click the link in the box under Windows Update to see more information about each update. Each type of update might include drivers.

4.      On the Select the updates you want to install page, look for updates for your hardware devices, select the check box for each driver that you want to install, and then click OK. There might not be any driver updates available.

5.      On the Windows Update page, click Install updates If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-to-do-when-a-device-isnt-installed-properly 

If you cannot find the drivers, then go to manufacturer’s website download the latest drivers and install.

For more information on the issue, refer this link:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistaperformance/thread/6940c7ff-64e7-48fd-8101-239abd5678a0

 Please respond back for the status on the issue and let us know if you have any issues.

Thanks and Regards,

Azam – Microsoft Support.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-06-07T16:25:47+00:00

    Your response is valid, given the information I had posted.  But there is additional information.  When I started getting TDR 116 BSODs, I bought another nVIDIA GeFORCE 8400GS card and installed it.  The new card has a different BIOS level on the card, but both cards are 8400GS.  The new card exhibited the same TDR 116 BSODs, so I assumed that the BSODs were not due to the graphics card hardware.  That is why I suspect that the problem lies in the nVIDIA driver software.  I do not know the internals of Windows well enough to be able to look at the large collection of BSOD full dumps and minidumps to be able to determine what may have happened.  I had increased the timeout values in the registry, but that did not help.  In all cases except one, the BSODs occurred when I was not at the computer, so I did not see what was happening.  In the one case where I was at my computer, I was moving the mouse from one window to another window, and the system hung for a second and then a BSOD occurred.  There was no long graphics/system timeout before the BSOD..

    I do not have another PC in which to place either of the two nVIDIA 8400GS cards to test them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-06-07T00:44:56+00:00

    Happy to hear you seemed to have solved problem by replacing card.  I'm not surprised you got little help from NVidia.  Does this not suggest the problem was hardware related, that is, your NVidia card was dying but not dead. 

    I still believe that just because you get BSOD that indicates a driver problem doesn't necessarily mean that it is a driver problem. 

    If you were motivated to further research this, you could put the old card in another PC and see how it performs.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-06-06T18:43:31+00:00

    Here is an update to my TDR 116 BSOD problem: 

    On March 11, 2016 I decided that nVIDIA had no idea what the problem was, so I bought an Asus EAH6450 graphics card and installed it.  I have not had a TDR 116 BSOD since.  I have to conclude that something is happening on my computer that the nVIDIA driver does not handle properly.  A friend suggested to me that since I am not a "gamer", the nVIDIA support staff probably does not want to spend time debugging a driver problem that affects only one customer.  If I were having graphics problems playing an online game, then they would be more receptive to determining what is happening.  It could be a power supply problem, as suggested earlier in this problem record, but I have no way of knowing without connecting an external power supply analyzer/logger.  Any internal analyzer/logger probably would not log just before a BSOD, but if there are no power supply problems, then an analyzer would not find anything.

    --Barry Finkel

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments