Windows 7 Snipping Tool has disappeared

Anonymous
2010-03-14T21:57:26+00:00

I just went to use my snipping tool and I can not find it anywhere.  It was pinned to my desktop before. I can not find it in accessories, System32, or by searching.  Any help would be appreciated!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-04-06T14:02:29+00:00

You failed to mention that "Tablet PC Optional Components " need to be enabled in the "Turn Windows features on or off " dialog box (left column) of the "Programs and Features " control panel. Even if you DO NOT have a tablet PC, this option must be checked to enable the Snipping Tool. I lost the Snipping Tool when I turned off these features on my PC.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-04-06T10:39:23+00:00

    Hello,

    First, let's run System File checker to see if you have any corrupted system files.

    Click Start

    Type: CMD, from the results, right click CMD

    Click 'Run as Administrator'

    At the Command Prompt, type: sfc /scannow

    This will check for any integrity violations and fix any corrupted operating system files.

    Restart your system

    Now run chkdsk:

    1. Disable any security software before attempting to upgrade or do a clean install.
    2. Make sure your computer is updated (devices and applications)
    3. Disconnect any external devices before installing.
    4. Check your hard disk for any errors:

    Click Start

    Type: CMD, from the results, right click CMD

    Click 'Run as Administrator'

    At the Command Prompt, type: chkdsk /r /f

    When you restart your system, your computer will be scanned for errors and attempts will be made to correct them.

    Please reply back and let us know if this helps.

    Sincerely,


    Marilyn

    Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-09-03T11:42:20+00:00

    My snipping tool also disappeared on my Win7 64 bit system. It is still there but I have to go to Help and Support and search for Snipping Tool and there is a link there.

    I have tried all of the suggestions posted here apart from clean boot without success.

    I suspect that in my case it might have something to do with my recent installation of Snagit 10 as it worked quite happily side by side with Snagit 9.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-09-03T14:40:53+00:00

    I have found the snipping tool at the following locationC:\Windows\System32\SnippingTool.exe and by right clicking on it I have now pinned it to the start menu

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-11-06T13:06:21+00:00

    I cant find it on the support site to download so got the free screenhunter program.  but would like to have the snipping tool. my w7 64  also is missing the tablet  in acc too.  not sure how removed but did use a win optimizer program that could of removed it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments