File Previewers not working in Explorer

Anonymous
2009-11-12T16:07:39+00:00

I can't seem to "preview" document files in Explorer, most types anyway.

Image viewers still seem to work.

If I open the Preview pane, then select any .TXT, .DOC, or .XLS files, the Preview pane says:

"This file can't be previewed because of an error in the Windows TXT previewer."

"This file can't be previewed because of an error in the Microsoft Office Word previewer."

"This file can't be previewed because of an error in the Microsoft Office Excel previewer."

Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

(Running Windows 7 Professional)


J_Mack

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-22T23:20:32+00:00

I found a solution that seems to have worked for me.  In Microsoft Word I went to:

Office Button -> Word Options -> Resources, and clicked on "Run Microsoft Office Diagnostics."  It took a while.  It found one installation issue as the very last test of 40 tests.  I closed Word and re-opened, and the previews are now working again.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-25T09:52:51+00:00

    Not applicable to office 2010. Perhaps in 2007?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-02-27T19:39:51+00:00

    I found a solution that seems to have worked for me.  In Microsoft Word I went to:

    Office Button -> Word Options -> Resources, and clicked on "Run Microsoft Office Diagnostics."  It took a while.  It found one installation issue as the very last test of 40 tests.  I closed Word and re-opened, and the previews are now working again.

    What is the, "Office Button"?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-12-13T17:46:15+00:00

    Can someone explain what you mean here. What is an 'Office Button' ?  If I press the button on my keyboard with the windows symbol i just get the start menu. Word option?  I am gettting issues with previe win explorer of excel and word an dpowerpont

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-09-07T23:38:33+00:00

    Have already done this and it did nothing for the previewer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments