File Previewers not working in Explorer

Anonymous
2009-11-12T16:07:39+00:00

I can't seem to "preview" document files in Explorer, most types anyway.

Image viewers still seem to work.

If I open the Preview pane, then select any .TXT, .DOC, or .XLS files, the Preview pane says:

"This file can't be previewed because of an error in the Windows TXT previewer."

"This file can't be previewed because of an error in the Microsoft Office Word previewer."

"This file can't be previewed because of an error in the Microsoft Office Excel previewer."

Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

(Running Windows 7 Professional)


J_Mack

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-22T23:20:32+00:00

I found a solution that seems to have worked for me.  In Microsoft Word I went to:

Office Button -> Word Options -> Resources, and clicked on "Run Microsoft Office Diagnostics."  It took a while.  It found one installation issue as the very last test of 40 tests.  I closed Word and re-opened, and the previews are now working again.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-09-07T23:37:03+00:00

    Did noting.  Previewer still not working

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-07-31T22:18:24+00:00

    They took out Office Diagnostics and expect people to use the MSI Repair function in Programs and Features instead.

    • Click Start/Search.
    • Type "Programs and Features" without quotes.
    • Hit the Enter key.
    • Find Microsoft Office 2010.
    • Right click on it.
    • Click Change.
    • Select Repair.
    • Click Continue.

    Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-06-11T07:19:29+00:00

    You are right, I am using Office 2010 but the Tools folder in question seems to have been generated by a stand alone copy of Visio 2007, in which case you won't find it with 2010.  However, neither can I find it in Control Panel, can you say where?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-06-11T04:20:32+00:00

    This does not appear on my machine.  Are you sure you are using Office 2010 and not Office 2007?  According to Microsoft Technet:

    Office Diagnostics

    Office Diagnostics, also known as Customer Watson, is removed for all Office 2010 applications. Because of shifting resources, the focus must be on analysis and reporting features that have been proven beneficial for other teams. Users must now run the repair utility from the Control Panel.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments