File Previewers not working in Explorer

Anonymous
2009-11-12T16:07:39+00:00

I can't seem to "preview" document files in Explorer, most types anyway.

Image viewers still seem to work.

If I open the Preview pane, then select any .TXT, .DOC, or .XLS files, the Preview pane says:

"This file can't be previewed because of an error in the Windows TXT previewer."

"This file can't be previewed because of an error in the Microsoft Office Word previewer."

"This file can't be previewed because of an error in the Microsoft Office Excel previewer."

Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

(Running Windows 7 Professional)


J_Mack

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-22T23:20:32+00:00

I found a solution that seems to have worked for me.  In Microsoft Word I went to:

Office Button -> Word Options -> Resources, and clicked on "Run Microsoft Office Diagnostics."  It took a while.  It found one installation issue as the very last test of 40 tests.  I closed Word and re-opened, and the previews are now working again.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-09-09T00:40:35+00:00

    Hi All,

    Don't know if my fix will be your fix, but I also found that by disabling add-ins the problem disappeared, so I went through the list and disabled them one at a time, and found that a template I had installed which was a Labelling Add-in by Avery Labels was the problem. Needless to say I uninstalled the ____ out of this program through "add-remove programs" and file previewer is working again.

    It might not be the same add-in for you, but it might just be one add-in conflicting with another.

    Look through your add-in list and remove any you don't need.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-06-23T20:58:30+00:00

    I have the same situation Win7 64 Enterprise.

    After doing a search all the previews disappear.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Anonymous
    2010-01-24T16:31:17+00:00

    Itried this, too, exactly as you described, but it didn't work. Anyone else have advice that does work (other than the re-install of the OS I read below)? 

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments