File Previewers not working in Explorer

Anonymous
2009-11-12T16:07:39+00:00

I can't seem to "preview" document files in Explorer, most types anyway.

Image viewers still seem to work.

If I open the Preview pane, then select any .TXT, .DOC, or .XLS files, the Preview pane says:

"This file can't be previewed because of an error in the Windows TXT previewer."

"This file can't be previewed because of an error in the Microsoft Office Word previewer."

"This file can't be previewed because of an error in the Microsoft Office Excel previewer."

Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

(Running Windows 7 Professional)


J_Mack

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-22T23:20:32+00:00

I found a solution that seems to have worked for me.  In Microsoft Word I went to:

Office Button -> Word Options -> Resources, and clicked on "Run Microsoft Office Diagnostics."  It took a while.  It found one installation issue as the very last test of 40 tests.  I closed Word and re-opened, and the previews are now working again.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-11-02T21:26:48+00:00

    Delete these reg entries

    Microsoft Excel previewer:

    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID{00020827-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}

    Microsoft PowerPoint previewer:

    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID{65235197-874B-4A07-BDC5-E65EA825B718}

    Microsoft Word previewer:

    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID{84F66100-FF7C-4fb4-B0C0-02CD7FB668FE}

    Microsoft Visio previewer:

    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID{21E17C2F-AD3A-4b89-841F-09CFE02D16B7}

    Then do a quick repair of office and it should be good to go.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2009-11-16T00:02:34+00:00

    Oh well, I thought I had it figured out, it seemed that this happened right after I installed Adobe Reader 9.2.

    Apparently that wasn't it.  Restoring to an earlier "Restore Point" was no help.

    I ended up reinstalling the OS - a real PITA, and a two-hour long or more process, compared to XP.

    I still can't imagine why a reinstall took so long since the original "upgrade" from XP only took 20-25 minutes.

    Afterwards, I created another Restore Point and reinstalled Adobe Reader, this time there were no issues.

    Bottom line, I have no idea what caused this, and so it seems, neither does anyone else...

    I'm a little disappointed that MS only responded with a canned reply, and a little surprised that I had to do a complete reinstall of the OS so soon after having installed it in the first place.

    This is not a good sign...


    J_Mack

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2009-11-13T04:26:10+00:00

    Hi,    

    Welcome to Microsoft Windows 7 Answers Forum! 

    We would like to get more information from you, to help troubleshoot your issue. Please answer the following questions as best you can.

    a)      When was the last time it was working?

    b)       Do you remember making any changes to the computer recently?

    Now perform SFC scan on your computer and check for the issue:

    1. Click the Start button
    2. From the Start Menu, Click All programs followed by Accessories
    3. In the Accessories menu, Right Click on the Command Prompt option
    4. From the drop down menu that appears, Click on the 'Run as administrator' option
    5. If you have the User Account Control (UAC) enabled, you will be asked for authorization prior to the command prompt opening. You may simply need to press the Continue button if you are the administrator or insert the administrator password etc.
    6. In the Command Prompt window, type: sfc /scannow and then press Enter
    7. A message will appear stating that 'The system scan will begin'
    8. Be patient because the scan may take some time
    9. If any files require replacing SFC will replace them. You may be asked to insert your Vista DVD for this process to continue
    10. If everything is okay you should, after the scan, see the following message "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations"
    11. After the scan has completed, close the command prompt window, restart the computer and check.

    Thanks and Regards:

    Suresh Kumar- Microsoft Support.

    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/answersfeedback/threads/  and let us know what you think

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2009-11-12T22:57:12+00:00

    Anybody?


    J_Mack

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments