After installing Windows 7 on HP laptop, getting message "plugged in not charging"

Anonymous
2009-10-31T18:14:00+00:00

Same Laptop, same charger worked fine in Visa. After clean install of Windows 7 I get the "plugged in not charging" message.

About my system:

HP/ Compaq Mobile Workstation 8510w

The charger is intended to be used for an aditional / secondary battery - which worked fine in Vista when plugged into the Laptop. The regular charger still works fine even in Win 7.

So my question: This must be a software related issue in Win 7. Somehow it recognizes that this is not the regular charger and refuses to use it - but since it worked fine in Vista I would like to continue using it.

How can I do that in Win 7???

Regards

Wolfgang

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-06-09T01:43:48+00:00

I had the same problem with my Compaq after upgrading to a 12-cell after market white box battery. What I did first was I uninstalled and reinstalled "Microsoft ACPI- Compliant Control Method Battery" and that did not work, so I followed the steps below:

  1. close laptop and remove battery (while still on). 
  2. open lid and remove AC adapter (while still on, will power off system)
  3. close lid and connect battery
  4.  open lid, connect AC adapter, and power on.

After I did the above, my system began to charge the battery. Some people say that after step 2, shutdown the system before unplugging the AC. I didn't because most of the solutions I found said NOT to shutdown the system first. If you were careful with your system, this one time shouldn't do any harm to your laptop

Matt102

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-07-08T05:06:48+00:00

    DISABLE AND ENABLE

    I do have Acer aspire laptop. And also suffered not charging problem. but my one physically get charge but do not show in task bar. Anyway i google it thousand times and get the solution to unplug battery and uninstall driver from device manager. But i suffered so many times. So far its microsoft driver issue problem. Finally i got a solution what is : ClickStart and type device in the search field, then selectDevice Manager .

    1. Expand the Batteries category.
    2. Under the Batteries category, right-click the MicrosoftACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listing, and select Disable and wait few moments and make it Enable again. Thats it

    WARNING: Do not remove the Microsoft AC Adapter driver or any other ACPI compliant driver. And do not uninstall anything.

    Give that a try! It works like a magic to me.

    Thank you!  I tried just about every other method suggested (specific order on removing/inserting the battery, uninstalling the device mentioned above, etc) but this is the only one that worked.

    I had a battery on an Acer Aspire 7730Z go bad and bought a 3rd party battery off E-bay.  Upon plugging it in and booting up I got the "Plugged in, Not Charging" message when I hovered over the battery icon.

    After disabling and enabling the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery device option it immediately began charging.

    So for anyone else that every other option has failed give this one a try.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-12-16T19:52:11+00:00

    For all laptops these days there is three conductor cable that goes from the power supply to the laptop. The outer ring you see is the negative part of the terminal, inside the connector there is an inner positive ring. The very center is a pin which is "sense". Almost always the thin wire going to the sense terminal has broken. If you crack open the case for the power supply (you don't need to) and take an ohm meter you will see an open circuit from the center pin to the thin wire inside the power supply. You can cut the rubbery strain relief on the computer side with and exacto lengthwise, be careful and you can reuse it with some electrical tape. Desolder the three wires from the terminal, cut about 6" from the remaining wire, strip the wire, resolder to terminal and you're done. All of the **** like: unplug, wait, change bios, dance on one foot, etc. only "work" temporarily because you're flexed the intermittent bad connection.

    I find your reply to be quite interesting, and I am tempted to try it on one of the THREE laptops that I have that are experiencing this issue..  The only thing that is holding me back from disassembling, cutting, soldering, and taping, is the fact that this issue does NOT occur under Windows XP which originally came installed on all three of my older laptops (the ones experiencing this).  All three of my laptops have this "Plugged In, Not Charging" issue under Windows 7 Pro, but in an effort to troubleshoot the issue I tossed in a spare hard drive, installed Windows XP Pro on one of them and witnessed that this issue does not occur when running Windows XP.  It charges just fine under Windows XP, but not windows 7.

    By the way, uninstalling the driver and/or disconnecting the battery/AC Power closing the lid, OR ANY COMBINATION of the driver and battery removal techniques has NOT solved this issue under Windows 7.  If i simply unplug and re-plug the AC power plug into the laptop (just a simple pull out, and plug right back in) the battery will charge for anywhere between 10 seconds to 10 min...  After that it reverts back to the "Plugged in, Not Charging" state.

    As far as the poster that mentioned that Lithium Ion batteries do not like to be charged all the way to 100%, and windows senses that it is always plugged in so it doesn't charge the battery until it senses battery use......... Well my battery is down to 43% and it still will not charge.

    The two things that i find interesting are:

    1. The only Microsoft solution pointed to is uninstalling a driver and re-installing it...
    2. This issue does not seem to happen under windows XP

    This leads me to believe that this issue is with Windows 7/ a Windows 7 driver and needs to be fixed.

    I should mention that all three laptops are older and were designed for Windows XP, Running Windows 7 on them (even though they are very decent laptops) was/is not recommended or intended.  But with that said, ALL of the other hardware on all three of my laptops experiencing this is fully supported and works great under Windows 7...  Everything but the dang battery charging.

    My three systems are:

    HP 550

    Intel Core 2 Duo 180Ghz with 4GB Ram running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

    (Own one genuine HP batery, and have the Plugged in, Not Charging)


    Dell XPS M140

    Intel Pentium M 1.73Ghz with 2GB Ram Running Windows 7 Pro

    (Own two aftermarket batteries, both have the same Plugged in, Not Charging issue)


    Gateway NX260X

    Intel Core Duo with 4GB Ram running Windows 7 Pro

    (Own two genuine Gateway batteries, both have the same Plugged in, Not Charging)


    So after this lengthy response, I implore someone to please solve this issue.

    -Chris

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-12-26T00:26:53+00:00

    I had the same problem with my Compaq after upgrading to a 12-cell after market white box battery. What I did first was I uninstalled and reinstalled "Microsoft ACPI- Compliant Control Method Battery" and that did not work, so I followed the steps below:

    1. close laptop and remove battery (while still on). 
    2. open lid and remove AC adapter (while still on, will power off system)
    3. close lid and connect battery
    4.  open lid, connect AC adapter, and power on.

    After I did the above, my system began to charge the battery. Some people say that after step 2, shutdown the system before unplugging the AC. I didn't because most of the solutions I found said NOT to shutdown the system first. If you were careful with your system, this one time shouldn't do any harm to your laptop

    Matt102

    Listen Guys, I know this sounds ridiculous, but it worked. I don't know why, because i tried everything before this, i was seconds away from buying a new battery (thought mine got fried due to a broken charger) but this works

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-02-16T17:49:02+00:00

    Awesome. Works perfectly fine.

    I had the same problem with my Compaq after upgrading to a 12-cell after market white box battery. What I did first was I uninstalled and reinstalled "Microsoft ACPI- Compliant Control Method Battery" and that did not work, so I followed the steps below:

    1. close laptop and remove battery (while still on). 
    2. open lid and remove AC adapter (while still on, will power off system)
    3. close lid and connect battery
    4.  open lid, connect AC adapter, and power on.

    After I did the above, my system began to charge the battery. Some people say that after step 2, shutdown the system before unplugging the AC. I didn't because most of the solutions I found said NOT to shutdown the system first. If you were careful with your system, this one time shouldn't do any harm to your laptop

    Matt102

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments