After installing Windows 7 on HP laptop, getting message "plugged in not charging"

Anonymous
2009-10-31T18:14:00+00:00

Same Laptop, same charger worked fine in Visa. After clean install of Windows 7 I get the "plugged in not charging" message.

About my system:

HP/ Compaq Mobile Workstation 8510w

The charger is intended to be used for an aditional / secondary battery - which worked fine in Vista when plugged into the Laptop. The regular charger still works fine even in Win 7.

So my question: This must be a software related issue in Win 7. Somehow it recognizes that this is not the regular charger and refuses to use it - but since it worked fine in Vista I would like to continue using it.

How can I do that in Win 7???

Regards

Wolfgang

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-06-09T01:43:48+00:00

I had the same problem with my Compaq after upgrading to a 12-cell after market white box battery. What I did first was I uninstalled and reinstalled "Microsoft ACPI- Compliant Control Method Battery" and that did not work, so I followed the steps below:

  1. close laptop and remove battery (while still on). 
  2. open lid and remove AC adapter (while still on, will power off system)
  3. close lid and connect battery
  4.  open lid, connect AC adapter, and power on.

After I did the above, my system began to charge the battery. Some people say that after step 2, shutdown the system before unplugging the AC. I didn't because most of the solutions I found said NOT to shutdown the system first. If you were careful with your system, this one time shouldn't do any harm to your laptop

Matt102

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-01-08T19:14:28+00:00

    It worked !!!! Thank you so much. I have a Dell Studio.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-02-03T19:46:06+00:00

    Hello All,

    Matt102 has provided a solution for “ Plugged in not charging” that seems to have helped a few posters in this thread which is below:

    I had the same problem with my Compaq after upgrading to a 12-cell aftermarket white box battery. What I did first was I uninstalled and reinstalled "Microsoft ACPI- Compliant Control Method Battery" and that did not work, so I followed the steps below:

    1. close laptop and remove battery (while still on).
    2. open lid and remove AC adapter (while still on, will power off system)
    3. close lid and connect battery
    4. open lid, connect AC adapter, and power on.

    After I did the above, my system began to charge the battery.

    If the above information is not helpful for you, take a look at the below thread for more possible solutions.

    Windows 7 Plugged in, Not Charging

    For more information on Windows 7 and Batteries, take a look at the following:

    Windows 7 Battery Notification Messages

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-06-14T01:17:59+00:00

    Hello All,

     

    Matt102 has provided a solution for “ Plugged in not charging” that seems to have helped a few posters in this thread which is below:

     

    I had the same problem with my Compaq after upgrading to a 12-cell aftermarket white box battery. What I did first was I uninstalled and reinstalled "Microsoft ACPI- Compliant Control Method Battery" and that did not work, so I followed the steps below:

     

    1. close laptop and remove battery (while still on).
    2. open lid and remove AC adapter (while still on, will power off system)
    3. close lid and connect battery
    4. open lid, connect AC adapter, and power on.

     

    After I did the above, my system began to charge the battery.

     

    If the above information is not helpful for you, take a look at the below thread for more possible solutions.

    Windows 7 Plugged in, Not Charging

     

    For more information on Windows 7 and Batteries, take a look at the following:

    Windows 7 Battery Notification Messages

     

    Thanks

    This may sound daft, but can you please explain the difference (if any) between 'close laptop...' and 'close lid...' That is, does 'close laptop' mean I should go to the 'Start' button and choose 'Shut Down'? Or what?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-06-15T09:07:03+00:00

    For all laptops these days there is three conductor cable that goes from the power supply to the laptop. The outer ring you see is the negative part of the terminal, inside the connector there is an inner positive ring. The very center is a pin which is "sense". Almost always the thin wire going to the sense terminal has broken. If you crack open the case for the power supply (you don't need to) and take an ohm meter you will see an open circuit from the center pin to the thin wire inside the power supply. You can cut the rubbery strain relief on the computer side with and exacto lengthwise, be careful and you can reuse it with some electrical tape. Desolder the three wires from the terminal, cut about 6" from the remaining wire, strip the wire, resolder to terminal and you're done. All of the **** like: unplug, wait, change bios, dance on one foot, etc. only "work" temporarily because you're flexed the intermittent bad connection.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments