After installing Windows 7 on HP laptop, getting message "plugged in not charging"

Anonymous
2009-10-31T18:14:00+00:00

Same Laptop, same charger worked fine in Visa. After clean install of Windows 7 I get the "plugged in not charging" message.

About my system:

HP/ Compaq Mobile Workstation 8510w

The charger is intended to be used for an aditional / secondary battery - which worked fine in Vista when plugged into the Laptop. The regular charger still works fine even in Win 7.

So my question: This must be a software related issue in Win 7. Somehow it recognizes that this is not the regular charger and refuses to use it - but since it worked fine in Vista I would like to continue using it.

How can I do that in Win 7???

Regards

Wolfgang

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-06-09T01:43:48+00:00

I had the same problem with my Compaq after upgrading to a 12-cell after market white box battery. What I did first was I uninstalled and reinstalled "Microsoft ACPI- Compliant Control Method Battery" and that did not work, so I followed the steps below:

  1. close laptop and remove battery (while still on). 
  2. open lid and remove AC adapter (while still on, will power off system)
  3. close lid and connect battery
  4.  open lid, connect AC adapter, and power on.

After I did the above, my system began to charge the battery. Some people say that after step 2, shutdown the system before unplugging the AC. I didn't because most of the solutions I found said NOT to shutdown the system first. If you were careful with your system, this one time shouldn't do any harm to your laptop

Matt102

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-07-24T03:05:18+00:00

    I had the same problem with my Compaq after upgrading to a 12-cell after market white box battery. What I did first was I uninstalled and reinstalled "Microsoft ACPI- Compliant Control Method Battery" and that did not work, so I followed the steps below:

    1. close laptop and remove battery (while still on). 
    2. open lid and remove AC adapter (while still on, will power off system)
    3. close lid and connect battery
    4.  open lid, connect AC adapter, and power on.

    After I did the above, my system began to charge the battery. Some people say that after step 2, shutdown the system before unplugging the AC. I didn't because most of the solutions I found said NOT to shutdown the system first. If you were careful with your system, this one time shouldn't do any harm to your laptop

    Matt102

    I tried this and it worked! Thanks a lot Matt! At first, I did the device manager thing and it didn't work just like you. After doing your instructions, it started charging again. I'm so glad, I thought it was a bad battery. For people who has the same issue, try this. It might just do the trick.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-08-04T21:27:00+00:00

    I've tried all of these solutions and variations on them.  My HP Support Assistant shows my battery is indeed good, I have a new AC adapter that will run the laptop with or without the battery, yet I cannot get the battery to charge and it's now at 0%.  Does anyone know of or have any other ideas?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-08-23T15:26:02+00:00

    Thankyou, it worked for me too :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-08-23T15:28:27+00:00

    It worked for like 5 mintues and then stopped charging.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments