After installing Windows 7 on HP laptop, getting message "plugged in not charging"

Anonymous
2009-10-31T18:14:00+00:00

Same Laptop, same charger worked fine in Visa. After clean install of Windows 7 I get the "plugged in not charging" message.

About my system:

HP/ Compaq Mobile Workstation 8510w

The charger is intended to be used for an aditional / secondary battery - which worked fine in Vista when plugged into the Laptop. The regular charger still works fine even in Win 7.

So my question: This must be a software related issue in Win 7. Somehow it recognizes that this is not the regular charger and refuses to use it - but since it worked fine in Vista I would like to continue using it.

How can I do that in Win 7???

Regards

Wolfgang

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-06-09T01:43:48+00:00

I had the same problem with my Compaq after upgrading to a 12-cell after market white box battery. What I did first was I uninstalled and reinstalled "Microsoft ACPI- Compliant Control Method Battery" and that did not work, so I followed the steps below:

  1. close laptop and remove battery (while still on). 
  2. open lid and remove AC adapter (while still on, will power off system)
  3. close lid and connect battery
  4.  open lid, connect AC adapter, and power on.

After I did the above, my system began to charge the battery. Some people say that after step 2, shutdown the system before unplugging the AC. I didn't because most of the solutions I found said NOT to shutdown the system first. If you were careful with your system, this one time shouldn't do any harm to your laptop

Matt102

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-09-24T10:33:18+00:00

    so, XP and Vista i had no problems... come windows 7, and the stupid plugg-in nt charging thing... i tried all these 'methods' but to no result... my battery is new and the cable has no damage... and the connector has no damage... so i guess windows 7 has a major bug.... im going back to vista

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-28T22:14:52+00:00

    After estimates ranging from a YouTube video suggesting I fill the jack with a glue gun to a local tech saying a $300 procedure soldering a $12 part to the motherboard was the only solution, this worked perfectly. Now my old battery is a ready backup for the newer model, which has not fallen below 98%. Just to be safe, I have another charger on order for $50 less than the Big Box store a few miles away. Due diligence pays off.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-04-12T23:22:51+00:00

    This answer works like a charm with my older Sony VAIO laptop, much better than using a glue gun on the jack or paying $300 to have a new part soldered onto the motherboard -- don't believe everything you see on YouTube. Unfortunately, it has become a recurrent issue, and I must repeat the process once a week. Three times I received a popup warning when the battery level reached 9%, but today the battery drain was sudden and the system shutdown at 7% with no opportunity to save the current session. It would be great if anyone could advise why this is happening and provide a more permanent solution. I suspect either a corrupted driver or some malware with an invisible footprint. Ideas?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-10-03T15:26:25+00:00

    I had this same issue. So I followed your instructions and now, my laptop is **** 😭

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments