After installing Windows 7 on HP laptop, getting message "plugged in not charging"

Anonymous
2009-10-31T18:14:00+00:00

Same Laptop, same charger worked fine in Visa. After clean install of Windows 7 I get the "plugged in not charging" message.

About my system:

HP/ Compaq Mobile Workstation 8510w

The charger is intended to be used for an aditional / secondary battery - which worked fine in Vista when plugged into the Laptop. The regular charger still works fine even in Win 7.

So my question: This must be a software related issue in Win 7. Somehow it recognizes that this is not the regular charger and refuses to use it - but since it worked fine in Vista I would like to continue using it.

How can I do that in Win 7???

Regards

Wolfgang

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-06-09T01:43:48+00:00

I had the same problem with my Compaq after upgrading to a 12-cell after market white box battery. What I did first was I uninstalled and reinstalled "Microsoft ACPI- Compliant Control Method Battery" and that did not work, so I followed the steps below:

  1. close laptop and remove battery (while still on). 
  2. open lid and remove AC adapter (while still on, will power off system)
  3. close lid and connect battery
  4.  open lid, connect AC adapter, and power on.

After I did the above, my system began to charge the battery. Some people say that after step 2, shutdown the system before unplugging the AC. I didn't because most of the solutions I found said NOT to shutdown the system first. If you were careful with your system, this one time shouldn't do any harm to your laptop

Matt102

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2009-11-01T18:13:48+00:00

    Hi,

    Welcome to Microsoft answers.

    I suggest you to check the connections, connect it properly, or contact hp

    If you have a spare power adapter connect that and check.

    Thanks and Regards,

    Azam - Microsoft Support.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2009-12-18T19:21:24+00:00

    Same Laptop, same charger worked fine in Visa. After clean install of Windows 7 I get the "plugged in not charging" message.

    About my system:

    HP/ Compaq Mobile Workstation 8510w

    The charger is intended to be used for an aditional / secondary battery - which worked fine in Vista when plugged into the Laptop. The regular charger still works fine even in Win 7.

    So my question: This must be a software related issue in Win 7. Somehow it recognizes that this is not the regular charger and refuses to use it - but since it worked fine in Vista I would like to continue using it.

    How can I do that in Win 7???

    Regards

    Wolfgang

    hi this is zaikhan same problem with me but i solve in this way may b it work for u and one more thing use ur battery without power for 20 min then plugged ur ac power hope it will work for u

    1. Click Start and type device in the search field, then select Device Manager .
    2. Expand the Batteries category.
    3. Under the Batteries category, right-click the MicrosoftACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listing, and select Uninstall .

    WARNING: Do not remove the Microsoft AC Adapter driver or any other ACPI compliant driver. 4. On the Device Manager taskbar, click Scan for hardware changes.

    Alternately, select Action > Scan for hardware changes .

    Give that a try!

    Worked for me with a 2 year old battery.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-01-03T21:26:48+00:00

    Hi - If you google it you will see that hundreds of people are having this problem after upgrading to windows 7 and also Vista.  To prove it I even re-installed XP again and everything works fine and battery charges.  I then re-installed Win 7 again and again the Plugged in, not charging error is back.  Please help!!!

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-01-07T16:56:21+00:00

    Same problem..I have a Compaq Presario v5000 laptop. Vista was preloaded, after upgrading to Windows 7 I put in a new battery, but the message plugged in not charging continues, and the battery is not charging when  the computer is off.

    Will follow the discussion. Robin thanks for your post.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments