After installing Windows 7 on HP laptop, getting message "plugged in not charging"

Anonymous
2009-10-31T18:14:00+00:00

Same Laptop, same charger worked fine in Visa. After clean install of Windows 7 I get the "plugged in not charging" message.

About my system:

HP/ Compaq Mobile Workstation 8510w

The charger is intended to be used for an aditional / secondary battery - which worked fine in Vista when plugged into the Laptop. The regular charger still works fine even in Win 7.

So my question: This must be a software related issue in Win 7. Somehow it recognizes that this is not the regular charger and refuses to use it - but since it worked fine in Vista I would like to continue using it.

How can I do that in Win 7???

Regards

Wolfgang

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-06-09T01:43:48+00:00

I had the same problem with my Compaq after upgrading to a 12-cell after market white box battery. What I did first was I uninstalled and reinstalled "Microsoft ACPI- Compliant Control Method Battery" and that did not work, so I followed the steps below:

  1. close laptop and remove battery (while still on). 
  2. open lid and remove AC adapter (while still on, will power off system)
  3. close lid and connect battery
  4.  open lid, connect AC adapter, and power on.

After I did the above, my system began to charge the battery. Some people say that after step 2, shutdown the system before unplugging the AC. I didn't because most of the solutions I found said NOT to shutdown the system first. If you were careful with your system, this one time shouldn't do any harm to your laptop

Matt102

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-07-14T05:01:53+00:00

    I, too, could not get the 1st solution to work. I have an HP netbook with Windows 7 starter, and it apparently requires a little more "finesse" than Vista to restore battery charging capabilities. Thanks so much for posting this, Matt102!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-05-17T20:55:28+00:00

    hi there, i followed both the above mentioned procedures 2 days back and the "plugged in, not charging" issue was resolved, but now i face it again, do i have to go through these procedures every time this issue occurs? isn't there any permanent solution  to it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-04-24T09:58:15+00:00

    Hi there, NO panic.. Before you try everything else check these simple things ;)

    Let the charge drop until 90%, plug in AC and see what happens ;)

    You see, there is need for calibration now and then, once in a month or so, I bet you sit plugged in on AC power all the time, my ASUS eee was on AC for some 3 weeks nonstop, (seed box ;) ), so windows does not sense need to charge the battery if it is on some 98 %. This is good by the way, battery sits there like UPS unit and starts to work only on power loss or unplugged AC, it is not charged normally all the time after 100%, most modern laptops and netbooks do this.

    Is your AC adapter working?

    LED is on, computer senses when AC is plugged in, unplugged - battery charge % does not go down, even if it is showing plugged in, not charging. So adapter is ok then. Yes and of course your laptop works even without battery in.

    Is your battery working - unplug AC and work for a while, charge % should go down slowly - as usual, few % in some minutes. If it is approximately lets say 10 H of work on 100% battery, then it should go down 10 % in one hour, 5H 10 % in 30 min..

    Tried this as well - did not help  :)

    1.    Disconnect AC

    2.    Shutdown

    3.    Remove battery

    4.    Connect AC

    5.    Startup

    6.    Under the Batteries category (device manager), right-click all of the MicrosoftACPI Compliant Control Method Batterylistings, and select Uninstall (it’s ok if you only have 1).

    7.    Shutdown

    8.    Disconnect AC

    9.    Insert battery

    10. Connect AC

    11. Startup

    This is drastic, no need for this unless all else is not helping.

    1. close laptop and remove battery (while still on). 
    2. open lid and remove AC adapter (while still on, will power off system)
    3. close lid and connect battery
    4.  open lid, connect AC adapter, and power on.

    Yes and few simple things - at battery university site there are some useful advices.

      http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how\_to\_prolong\_lithium\_based\_batteries

    Li Ion batteries in our laptops and mobile phones do not like to be fully discharged, those are not Ni MH batteries, which needed to be discharged and fully charged to stay in good shape and not develop memory effect. Li ion does not need to be discharged under some 20-30 %.

    Li Ion does not like to be 100% charged all the time as well, so tools that help you charge until 80% do that on purpose. You just need to remember to charge to 100% if you go for a trip with your computer, if it is all the time on AC power, then 50-75 % of charge is just fine, battery will last longer that way. This applies mostly to storage, it is recommended to store batteries on some 40 % of charge, I would say make it 60%, because battery discharges even when stored and not used. Yes and check it once in some 3-6 month, use it a little, discharge until 20-30%, charge back to 75%, see how it holds the charge - % drop in given time and put it back on shelve if you indent to store it some more.

    I hope this helps you guys and gals.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-04-14T00:39:53+00:00

    I have to say that zaikhan's method really worked for me at the Scan for hardware changes part. Thanks alot dude! :D

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments