After installing Windows 7 on HP laptop, getting message "plugged in not charging"

Anonymous
2009-10-31T18:14:00+00:00

Same Laptop, same charger worked fine in Visa. After clean install of Windows 7 I get the "plugged in not charging" message.

About my system:

HP/ Compaq Mobile Workstation 8510w

The charger is intended to be used for an aditional / secondary battery - which worked fine in Vista when plugged into the Laptop. The regular charger still works fine even in Win 7.

So my question: This must be a software related issue in Win 7. Somehow it recognizes that this is not the regular charger and refuses to use it - but since it worked fine in Vista I would like to continue using it.

How can I do that in Win 7???

Regards

Wolfgang

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-06-09T01:43:48+00:00

I had the same problem with my Compaq after upgrading to a 12-cell after market white box battery. What I did first was I uninstalled and reinstalled "Microsoft ACPI- Compliant Control Method Battery" and that did not work, so I followed the steps below:

  1. close laptop and remove battery (while still on). 
  2. open lid and remove AC adapter (while still on, will power off system)
  3. close lid and connect battery
  4.  open lid, connect AC adapter, and power on.

After I did the above, my system began to charge the battery. Some people say that after step 2, shutdown the system before unplugging the AC. I didn't because most of the solutions I found said NOT to shutdown the system first. If you were careful with your system, this one time shouldn't do any harm to your laptop

Matt102

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-09-24T10:33:18+00:00

    so, XP and Vista i had no problems... come windows 7, and the stupid plugg-in nt charging thing... i tried all these 'methods' but to no result... my battery is new and the cable has no damage... and the connector has no damage... so i guess windows 7 has a major bug.... im going back to vista

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-12-12T14:58:31+00:00

    I had the same problem with my Compaq after upgrading to a 12-cell after market white box battery. What I did first was I uninstalled and reinstalled "Microsoft ACPI- Compliant Control Method Battery" and that did not work, so I followed the steps below:

    1. close laptop and remove battery (while still on). 
    2. open lid and remove AC adapter (while still on, will power off system)
    3. close lid and connect battery
    4.  open lid, connect AC adapter, and power on.

    After I did the above, my system began to charge the battery. Some people say that after step 2, shutdown the system before unplugging the AC. I didn't because most of the solutions I found said NOT to shutdown the system first. If you were careful with your system, this one time shouldn't do any harm to your laptop

    Matt102

    I read this and thought "this guy is insane suggesting to shut down a computer dirty," but I was getting desperate so I tried it because the risk is pretty low, and many others said it worked.  It DOES work!  I just cannot believe such a simple set of operations works.  I suspect it performs something similar to a hard reset that HP suggests to solve quirky battery and other issues on their laptops.  A hard reset would also probably work as now I realize I tried it without removing the battery (long day).  But anyway this worked and I am very grateful to the poster.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-10-22T04:28:42+00:00

    After upgrading to 8.1 I now get the "plugged in but not charging error."  Though I can temporarily change it by following many of the fixes above, the battery does not seem to actually charge, and eventually it always reverts back to "plugged in not charging."  Sometimes as a variant it will fail to detect a battery at all.

    This is in a four month old HP Envy m6.  The battery was always great before this and would last for hours.  Now I'm chained to an AC outlet.

    So add my name to the hundreds of thousands of people who have had serious problems with the 8.1 upgrade.  I wish I'd set a restore point before the upgrade.  I never thought I'd want to go back to the misbegotten Windows 8.0.  Maybe this is Microsoft's way of making us appreciate them more.

    Come on Microsoft, pull it together.  Don't turn me into a Mac user, please.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-07-21T06:27:33+00:00

    Mine turned out to be a charger problem on my charger it is a three wire with a very fine sensor wire in the centre if this is broken it won't charge. replacement charger was very cheap and now all's well I swapped the battery out as well and have had no problems since..Touch wood. And i agree with you on the pathetic Windows 8 ****.Although i had to do the Matt102 thing to get it started charging again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments