After installing Windows 7 on HP laptop, getting message "plugged in not charging"

Anonymous
2009-10-31T18:14:00+00:00

Same Laptop, same charger worked fine in Visa. After clean install of Windows 7 I get the "plugged in not charging" message.

About my system:

HP/ Compaq Mobile Workstation 8510w

The charger is intended to be used for an aditional / secondary battery - which worked fine in Vista when plugged into the Laptop. The regular charger still works fine even in Win 7.

So my question: This must be a software related issue in Win 7. Somehow it recognizes that this is not the regular charger and refuses to use it - but since it worked fine in Vista I would like to continue using it.

How can I do that in Win 7???

Regards

Wolfgang

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-06-09T01:43:48+00:00

I had the same problem with my Compaq after upgrading to a 12-cell after market white box battery. What I did first was I uninstalled and reinstalled "Microsoft ACPI- Compliant Control Method Battery" and that did not work, so I followed the steps below:

  1. close laptop and remove battery (while still on). 
  2. open lid and remove AC adapter (while still on, will power off system)
  3. close lid and connect battery
  4.  open lid, connect AC adapter, and power on.

After I did the above, my system began to charge the battery. Some people say that after step 2, shutdown the system before unplugging the AC. I didn't because most of the solutions I found said NOT to shutdown the system first. If you were careful with your system, this one time shouldn't do any harm to your laptop

Matt102

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-01-29T20:59:09+00:00

    While your comp is plugged in, remove the battery, type "device drivers" in the search box, right click and unistall both the APCI compliant control method battery, and the microsoft AC adapter, then replace the battery. Wait about 3 minutes, then restart the computer. Should take care of all of it. I did this with my Dell XPS M1530 laptop and it worked wonderfully!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-12-08T20:08:47+00:00

    Like Mirkhel, tried this after trying to uninstall and reinstall the device manager tip.  No good with either method.  Now I have two new batteries and neither will charge.  I'm using a Dell Studio 17 series machine, with a Dell brand adapter.   Powers the computer, but just can't take it anywhere.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-11-03T21:22:41+00:00

    A big THANK YOU. Worked like a charm. Your advce was great help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-10-29T22:38:01+00:00

    Excellent! It works.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments