Mouse and Keyboard not working after Windows 7 updates

Anonymous
2009-12-09T17:27:39+00:00

I have Windows 7 Home Edition.  My CPU did the latest Windows update overnight, now the keyboard and mouse aren't working.  I have rebooted and unplugged both many times.  I keep coming back to my login screen, but I can't do anything from that point.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-10T04:07:52+00:00

I prsume your keyboard is USB?  If you can find a friend who has an older keyboard with a PS/2 connector, you might try that, F8 again and select Last Known Good.

It's not yesterday's updates per se, because I have them on all my PCs (I hate the 2nd Tuesday in the month because I run around the house like some mad woman making sure 1 Vista 64 bit, 2 Server 2008 R2 64 bit, 2 Windows 7 32 bit and 4 Windows 7 64 bit are all downloading correctly and rebooting if necessary. All keyboards and mice are working fine here.

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-04-27T01:02:55+00:00

    Restart your computer and keep on pressing F8 key until you saw the black screen having No.1 option as Repair your Computer (click it) and then go to system restore. After restoring when you restart your computer it will work   

    (mine does) hope yours to.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-07-29T14:59:02+00:00

    Hello,

    I just wanted to let u know, I had this same issue for about 2 weeks. Basically what happened was a bad install of my AMD Chipset drivers. When I attempted to upgrade, the install didn't go all the way through.

    I then restarted my system, and BAM! No Mouse or Keyboard functionality thru USB.

    Even when I went into SAFE MODE the Mouse and Keyboard were not functional. The only time they worked was when the computer first attempted to start, BEFORE windows loaded.

    So, this means that your issue is a software problem.

    I thought it was some other software that I installed, and ran a restore session, but that wasn't the issue. Still no functionality.

    I even tried removing my CMOS battery, to reset it, since some people said that had solved their problems...Still nothing.

    I then read other forums around the web using my Android phone to try and find a solution, only those solutions were no help.

    I was also advised to run: MSCONFIG and Hide all Windows programs and then stop every other driver, source from loading (of course if my mouse and kb worked, I would have tried that).

    I had even read that because I was using USB, that I should try using a PS/2 Mouse and Keyboard connection.

    It took me 2 weeks to get the correct PS2 adapter that worked, which would essentially allow me access to my system again...

    I Purchased a USB A Female to PS2 (MDIN6) Male Adapter (for Mouse) from SFCable.com

    This my friends, was a lifesaver. I only have one PS2 port on my system, so I used my mouse to try every option I had previously read about. Of course you cannot type because the keyboard doesn't work, so you need to know the location of the folder where the programs you are trying to run are.

    So, a little after I got back into my system, and I closed down all programs, the warning screen came up that ALL of my USB Ports failed and could not be updated. I even Uninstalled every last USB port from the System Properties and restarted, and still that didn't work.

    I had forgotten that during the time when this problem arose, there was a failed install of my AMD chipset drivers, so luckily I had not deleted the source file and I tried to reinstall, and VIOLA! I'm back up and running and my USB ports are restored and everything is working!

    I hope this solution is able to help other people out there.

    Thanks,

    JE - ******@GMAIL.COM

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-01-20T23:07:22+00:00

    ok, I have a Toshiba Satellite (don't know the model right now...) whatever, I don't have a PS2 ports, my  keyboard is integrated because it's a Laptop. Well, I made the updates and after that, my keyboard and mouse integrated and also an external usb mouse are frozen... they don't work neither in safe mode... Problem is, my laptop doesn't have any old ports such as keyboard or mouse ports... only usb and a PCI... nothing more... the keyboard and mouse worked before windows start... I did the following, I placed the windows 7 system in the dvd drive entered and did repare computer - restore computer - BUT there's restore point... I'm freaked because I got info and I can't get it out...

    I tried to use new mouses and a usb keyboard, useless... I'm freaked out with this bug... what can I do beside all of this??

    Oh, I tried this though, I clicked on the capslock key and the light was on. The windows started up  the key was with the light on but no use because I used the start key and it didn't work...

    P.S.: I also entered in the BIOS and saw the Legacy USB Interface and it was enable... I turned off inicialized the windows with it off. Then, I turned off the computer, I entered in the BIOS again, turned the Legacy USB Interface to enable again but, no use...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-01-26T14:13:06+00:00

    I have the very same problem after upgrading my Vista laptop to Windows 7. When I try to download Drivers for Windows 7, Dell or Microsoft Download centers want to know my Service Tag #. Once  type in my Service Tag # , it will give me three choices of Drivers to Download: (1) BIOS, (2) Windows Vista, (3) Windows XP.  Since I now have Windows 7, where can I go and Download these Drivers?? Please help, since Dell wants $$$$ to answer this simple question???

    Thank you,

    Angelica

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments