Mouse and Keyboard not working after Windows 7 updates

Anonymous
2009-12-09T17:27:39+00:00

I have Windows 7 Home Edition.  My CPU did the latest Windows update overnight, now the keyboard and mouse aren't working.  I have rebooted and unplugged both many times.  I keep coming back to my login screen, but I can't do anything from that point.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-10T04:07:52+00:00

I prsume your keyboard is USB?  If you can find a friend who has an older keyboard with a PS/2 connector, you might try that, F8 again and select Last Known Good.

It's not yesterday's updates per se, because I have them on all my PCs (I hate the 2nd Tuesday in the month because I run around the house like some mad woman making sure 1 Vista 64 bit, 2 Server 2008 R2 64 bit, 2 Windows 7 32 bit and 4 Windows 7 64 bit are all downloading correctly and rebooting if necessary. All keyboards and mice are working fine here.

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-02-16T03:23:10+00:00

    Did you try booting into Safe Mode?  F8 on startup (just before the Windows screen starts).  If you can get in you can then use System Restore to go back to before they stopped working.

    I am having windows 7 ultimate 64 bit. it was working smoothly until I installed Universal shield software by Everstrike, after the installation my PC restarted and I found my keyboard and mouse (both PS2) doesn't working. I checked them in my second OS Ubuntu they are working fine there.

    Its working till I can press F8 but in safemode it is not working. I tried last known configuration but still not working. I am not able to uninstall that software nor I can restore my sysytem.

    please some one help me.....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-02-16T03:41:13+00:00

    I managed to go to repair windows and there I found system restore.

    I restored my windows and also removed that software..

    Windows 7 is awesome.. :-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-03-06T01:15:53+00:00

    None of these solutions work for me. My USB keyboard and mouse work at BIOS and then nothing.

    Can't logon

    Can't logon in Safe Mode

    Can't restore because I cant click or select "Next"

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-04-11T15:13:39+00:00

    F8 when Windows 7 boots ->

    disable driver signature enforecment -> boot

    if your usb mouse and keyboard works, then you have a driver problem

    alternatively you can also check microsoft technet to disable driver signature enforcement permanently...

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments