Mouse and Keyboard not working after Windows 7 updates

Anonymous
2009-12-09T17:27:39+00:00

I have Windows 7 Home Edition.  My CPU did the latest Windows update overnight, now the keyboard and mouse aren't working.  I have rebooted and unplugged both many times.  I keep coming back to my login screen, but I can't do anything from that point.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-10T04:07:52+00:00

I prsume your keyboard is USB?  If you can find a friend who has an older keyboard with a PS/2 connector, you might try that, F8 again and select Last Known Good.

It's not yesterday's updates per se, because I have them on all my PCs (I hate the 2nd Tuesday in the month because I run around the house like some mad woman making sure 1 Vista 64 bit, 2 Server 2008 R2 64 bit, 2 Windows 7 32 bit and 4 Windows 7 64 bit are all downloading correctly and rebooting if necessary. All keyboards and mice are working fine here.

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-07-16T18:54:00+00:00

    same problem

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-07-16T21:03:52+00:00

    If you click on the symbol in the bottom left corner of the screen and select on screen keyboard you can type the password in that way. Presuming your mouse works ;P

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-07-17T03:24:09+00:00

    You have to enable legacy USB support in the Biose.  Mine has been working perfectly.

    Regards,

    Zack

    San Francisco

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-07-18T18:53:36+00:00

    This worked for me .Print first if possible

    1. 
    

            1.Install different mouse

    2. Use System Restore to revert computer to a time before offending update(s) were installed
    
    3. Go to Control Panel/System and Security/Windows Updates and amend preferences in dropdown list to “Download updates but let me choose which to install “
    
    4 . The available update(s )s can then be found including those uninstalled by System Restore in 2 above. Re install these one by one( by unticking all the others ) then check the original mouse and keyboard each time until the problem re occurs. Use System
    

    Restore to remove this update

    5. I found that **KB2529073** was the culprit
    
    1. Return to “ Windows Updates“ as in 3 above and tick the offending update and­ also the box “Hide this Update “ Ensure it disappears. Re set preferences to Automatic Updates

    Good luck !

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments