Mouse and Keyboard not working after Windows 7 updates

Anonymous
2009-12-09T17:27:39+00:00

I have Windows 7 Home Edition.  My CPU did the latest Windows update overnight, now the keyboard and mouse aren't working.  I have rebooted and unplugged both many times.  I keep coming back to my login screen, but I can't do anything from that point.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-10T04:07:52+00:00

I prsume your keyboard is USB?  If you can find a friend who has an older keyboard with a PS/2 connector, you might try that, F8 again and select Last Known Good.

It's not yesterday's updates per se, because I have them on all my PCs (I hate the 2nd Tuesday in the month because I run around the house like some mad woman making sure 1 Vista 64 bit, 2 Server 2008 R2 64 bit, 2 Windows 7 32 bit and 4 Windows 7 64 bit are all downloading correctly and rebooting if necessary. All keyboards and mice are working fine here.

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-05-11T19:31:28+00:00

    Im currently one he phone with Microsoft tech support for the same issue, so far I have tapped F8 once I reboot the computer and then select Repair windows, then do a system restore

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-05-31T06:52:11+00:00

    Did you solve this problem? Has anyone solved this problem? I have exactly the same problem. MS has beamed down a fatal chase your tail, ha ha ha, update in the night. Now the keyboard doesn't work, the only way in is through a remote session. Sometimes I think this is a revenue stream.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-06-09T13:34:28+00:00

    I solved it. I had this problem. The only thing you need to do is use a old PS/2 keyboard.  You right click on computer (with the button on the keyboard beside  "start", i don't know how to say it, it look like a list or a menu)

    You click Manage, go in device manager (using "Tab" and the arrows).  Go to Universal Serial Bus Controllers, right click on each usb, disable and enable to make them working again.

    I hope i helped.

    :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-06-27T16:26:31+00:00

    If you can't type in your logon, then safe mode doesn't work either as both screens require a password.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments